Sillychainsaw

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum.
My question is, if I wanna make a top 10 video for example "Top 10 most beautiful actresses" can I use images that I find on google and other sites? Like images taken from paparazzi or events such as red carpet. I will want to monetize this content.
Thank you.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So long as it's transformative and you do more than just show pictures on screen, you should be covered by fair use.

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
as long as you commentate over it, it will be considered free use!

Maybe not even commentate over it, perhaps just editing it in a way to be educational.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Uh, wrong.

1. Top 10 videos don't fall under Fair Use as a rule; they aren't transformative enough to qualify and don't add value to the material used. Also the OP's plans for monetization of the resulting videos would tend to disqualify them for application of the Fair Use Doctrine.

Like images taken from paparazzi or events such as red carpet.
Such images are copyright owned by the journalist or media outlet responsible for creating them. You will need a license to use them; plus commercial reuse rights, plus publicity rights from the depicted celebrities.

Time to pull out your wallet and start writing emails.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Seems a grey area as I read so many different answers.
Of course most pictures on the web are copyrighted and permission will need to be granted by the owner for you to use them 'legally'
But I cant see YouTube having the power to determine if you have individual granted permissions to use the pictures you have in a slide show..
Say you eventually reached the required subs / hours watched to monetise. YT will vet your channel. Are they really going to ask you to provide evidence that you have all the hundreds if not thousands of emails/letters that grant permission to use an image? I dont think so.
IMO The real concern is that an image owner 'catches you' using their image without their permission. You could be liable for claims/fines/court proceedings etc. Ive heard of some channels being fined tens of thousands for using images without permission.
Ive seen some channels state in their descriptions that they are not image owners / simply 'borrowed' from Google and if an image owner has any issues - please contact the channel for deletion/aknowledgement/compensation.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Seems a grey area as I read so many different answers.
Of course most pictures on the web are copyrighted and permission will need to be granted by the owner for you to use them 'legally'
But I cant see YouTube having the power to determine if you have individual granted permissions to use the pictures you have in a slide show..
Say you eventually reached the required subs / hours watched to monetise. YT will vet your channel. Are they really going to ask you to provide evidence that you have all the hundreds if not thousands of emails/letters that grant permission to use an image? I dont think so.
IMO The real concern is that an image owner 'catches you' using their image without their permission. You could be liable for claims/fines/court proceedings etc. Ive heard of some channels being fined tens of thousands for using images without permission.
Ive seen some channels state in their descriptions that they are not image owners / simply 'borrowed' from Google and if an image owner has any issues - please contact the channel for deletion/aknowledgement/compensation.
Most likely, a channel doing mostly this type of Top 10 will not be asked by YouTube to provide the evidence. Instead the channel owner will be denied monetization entirely on the reason of "Repeated Submission of Ineligible Material and/or Insufficient Documentation".

Please see my thread from a few weeks ago titled: "If You Choose To Deliberately Use Copyright Media On YouTube" for the explanation of how this could happen. And yes; YouTube does actually have the power to determine whether or not you own all rights you need to both publish and monetize any video posted to the site.

The real problem is that they are only choosing to do hard enforcement of this now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakycow

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Post edited, ignore me! :D

Last edited:

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You have email, which may have gone to your Promotions folder. It has important information regarding the way you are currently attempting monetization. Please make sure you read it.

Good Night.
I would like to further this conversation, please check your emails, as it appears you might be mistaken.

EDIT: To anyone wondering, it was a huge misunderstanding! We discussed something about YouTube rules of a certain topic and UKHypnotist was actually pretty cool and nice about it. Nothing really changed, but the conversation was extremely pleasant. :D

Last edited:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most likely, a channel doing mostly this type of Top 10 will not be asked by YouTube to provide the evidence. Instead the channel owner will be denied monetization entirely on the reason of "Repeated Submission of Ineligible Material and/or Insufficient Documentation".

Please see my thread from a few weeks ago titled: "If You Choose To Deliberately Use Copyright Media On YouTube" for the explanation of how this could happen. And yes; YouTube does actually have the power to determine whether or not you own all rights you need to both publish and monetize any video posted to the site.

The real problem is that they are only choosing to do hard enforcement of this now.
I have used 'Google images' in some videos for picture slides. Some were flagged. I requested manual review and monetisation granted.

Reactions: UKHypnotist