Can't seem to change my thumbnail :(

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My thumbnail on a couple of my videos is a tiny bit stretched, so i managed to fix it however it's not letting me upload the new thumbnails to my videos, every time i refresh it just goes back to the old thumbnail (also adding views in the process everytime i refresh on the thumbnail screen to my video which is annoying)

I have tried setting a default thumbnail and reuploading the new one, I have cleared my cookies and everything is there no way to change this?

RiffRaff

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Don't worry about it, sometimes it can take up to 48 hours to actually change

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
it goes back to the old thumbnail in the custom thumbnail screen as well though :/

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
Have you checked while not being signed in or just icognito mode? Sometimes it just lags on your side but is ok for everyone else.

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
in the video manager it looks like the new ones are coming up as the thumbnail but when i actually go to the screen to change it, it goes back to the old one, i may have to try checking that way as well

Jake Fuller

I Vlog, Therefore I Am
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What size are you making your thumbnails? YouTube like them to maintain an aspect ratio of1+/-6:9 I generally make all my thumbs 1920x1080. the stretching you are seeing is a result of the image having a larger height then width.

Don't worry about it, sometimes it can take up to 48 hours to actually change
this is true. and it takes even longer for the app thumbs to update it seems.

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
i was told the perfect thumbnail size is 1280x720 which has always worked for me, i found out though its because i use a smaller board to work with (I use fotojet) and then i use the edit option to make the photo bigger which causes the stretching, i discovered i could use a much bigger size board to work with then resize that to the dimensions i normally use and it stops the stretching as it makes it smaller rather then bigger, i only discovered this yesterday though haha so some of my thumbnails like my most recent one are slightly stretched

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
it goes back to the old thumbnail in the custom thumbnail screen as well though :/
Hi Becky, I noticed the same thing and it seems to be normal these days. I changed 3 thumbnails and the many thumbnail versions of different sizes and on different pages all updated at different times. One image took several days to update.

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi Becky, I noticed the same thing and it seems to be normal these days. I changed 3 thumbnails and the many thumbnail versions of different sizes and on different pages all updated at different times. One image took several days to update.
hey! :) yeah it looks like in the video manager it seems to have the new thumbnail, but the old one is still on my main channel and apparently having bad thumbnails can affect views so if possible i don't really want to stay with a stretched out thumbnail i'm hoping i will just have to wait, i don't want to keep going and trying to change it as it also adds views to my video, i have now got 10 extra views that i know were me and it was all by just messing around with the thumbnail haha, ive contacted youtube about that now anyway

Taylor Hoffman

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I come across the same issues as well, not as often as you seem to be experiencing. My thumbnails usually took at least 48 hours to refresh, but if you upload the custom thumbnail as the video is going up it works perfectly fine on my end.

I find that YouTube's query for thumbnails is a lot slower than uploading process, unless the two are packaged together, then the video and thumbnail get uploaded at the same time putting less stress on their hardware.

Reactions: Jordan Pike