Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Canon 77D, which lense for VLOGing?

Discussion in 'Video Editing, Recording, Software & Hardware' started by Im Jonas, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Im Jonas
    Cash:
    $2
    Hi All,

I am planning on buying a Canon 77D which will be used mainly for vlogging. I wonder which lense I should start out with? The one that is included in the package is a 18-135mm IS. Would that be a good start?

2. beepIT
    Cash:
    $5
    I would advise against buying the included kit lenses (18-55mm, 18-135mm) altogether. Ideally you want to find a lens in your price range with the LOWEST possible f-stop value. The kit lenses range from f/3.5 to f/5.6. You will want to aim for what is considered a 'fast' lens -- ideally with an f-stop of f/2.8 or lower. You will give up the ability to zoom, but the cheapest and best lens you can get for any DSLR is a 35 or 50 mm f/1.8. These will run you under $200 and the image quality will be leaps and bounds above what the kit lens can achieve.

3. Will_VloggerPro
    Cash:
    $1
    If you want to be smart about it and don't mind paying a bit more today so you can save money in the long run, don't get the kit lens is the rule for DSLRs. For vlogging, you will want a lens around 24mm (35mm is still doable when recording yourself in selfie mode but it's still too much zoom for this job). As beepIT says, you will want a fast lens. In the particular case of the 77D you can actually get a fast lens for vlogging for the same price as the kit 18-55mm lens. I'm talking about the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens. This one doesn't come with Image Stabilization, which is okay because the 77D has its own stabilization for video.