can you take over another channel?

Phil summerland

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
a friend of mine plans to stop his gaming channel and rather than deleting it altogether i suggested me taking over and keeping it alive, is that possible to do? handing over the keys to your channel to someone else?

Vicboss

The Man who sold the world
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
a friend of mine plans to stop his gaming channel and rather than deleting it altogether i suggested me taking over and keeping it alive, is that possible to do? handing over the keys to your channel to someone else?
well thats not up to you or him..its up to his audience if they are willing to accept you. BUT if its a smaller channel with not much traffic i guess it wouldn't be much of a problem

JustAGuyWithAName

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Legally and terms and conditions-y there's nothing to stop you, so if his community accept you then go for it

Reactions: Phil summerland

jamesonscreen

Reaction score
I suppose it depends if it's monetised. Then you'd have to switch the details over to yourself if possible.

In terms of practicality, as Vicboss says, it depends on his audience's willingness to accept someone different. Did they subscribe for him or his content? And can you keep producing similar content?

Phil summerland

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
I suppose it depends if it's monetised. Then you'd have to switch the details over to yourself if possible.

In terms of practicality, as Vicboss says, it depends on his audience's willingness to accept someone different. Did they subscribe for him or his content? And can you keep producing similar content?
well he's a ranter like me and does not promote his gaming channel on his main channel so i hope so

Carl Hinton

Loving The Gameplay
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
From a technical point, it's just exchanging the password isn't it?

vyau

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Reviewer
YouTube accounts are tied to Gmail accounts, and Gmail accounts are tied to people (or G+ Pages). If you're hoping to make this channel big, I hope your friend isn't the type to come back and "reclaim" the channel after you've done all the legwork.