can you still monetize if you use a few copyrighted songs in your videos?

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I got claimed once for using a remix of a song I liked... but those were my early days where I didn't know that even if it's a remix from a different artist, the music industry can and will still claim it as theirs (specially if they see video has some views). They just want money IMO so I didn't receive a strike, I just share revenue with the company but my video is dead so I don't really mind plus I removed the song but I don't want to risk it and dispute it if it's not really needed.

Anyways, if you have permission of an artist you "should" be able to use it without any trouble,,, thing is... you can't never trust people and the producer still has the right and will claim the video if he wants to (unless you have an official document that is signed, etc etc). That's why is not worth the risk and is better to pay a license or to search for free tracks in YouTube Audio Library.

Even if that artist is ok with you using their music, if he/she sells his song to a company... that company can and will claim your video so that's another thing you need to be worried about. Good luck and you should be fine until someone decides to claim it! Also, once a company sees they can claim one of your videos they will try to find more and more and even if you are using 5 seconds, they will claim it

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I got claimed once for using a remix of a song I liked... but those were my early days where I didn't know that even if it's a remix from a different artist, the music industry can and will still claim it as theirs (specially if they see video has some views). They just want money IMO so I didn't receive a strike, I just share revenue with the company but my video is dead so I don't really mind plus I removed the song but I don't want to risk it and dispute it if it's not really needed.

Anyways, if you have permission of an artist you "should" be able to use it without any trouble,,, thing is... you can't never trust people and the producer still has the right and will claim the video if he wants to (unless you have an official document that is signed, etc etc). That's why is not worth the risk and is better to pay a license or to search for free tracks in YouTube Audio Library.

Even if that artist is ok with you using their music, if he/she sells his song to a company... that company can and will claim your video so that's another thing you need to be worried about. Good luck and you should be fine until someone decides to claim it! Also, once a company sees they can claim one of your videos they will try to find more and more and even if you are using 5 seconds, they will claim it
thanks man! appreciate the honest feedback. yep! you are right!! that is why I have stopped using songs in my videos, if it is, it will be YTs
so for the most part like i read, the money will go to the artist or company claiming as long as its allowed to be used..pretty much what people were saying in reddit. Not sure why other people who have no experience was telling me straight up no you'll get banned blah blah.

thanks for providing your honest feedback and experience. I only got 3 songs that are from deceased rock artists, but ill leave it at that. I started using them because I honestly though I was going to be in the 50 - 100 sub range forever when I first started haha. but appreciate it, I might delete or remove those 3 songs from my videos perhaps