can you still monetize if you use a few copyrighted songs in your videos?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
pretty much what the title said. I used copyrighted songs (no strikes received but owner lets everyone use it) made my dirtbike channel for fun and honestly didnt think I was going to get that much watch time and subs racking up and seeing it might not be far away after all

either way if I can or cant monetize still going to post dirtbike videos since ive always created videos way before YT on my offroading stuff

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
The answer is no; and you could still draw Content ID claims or strikes. A content owner may change usage policy at any time, and I wonder if you've ever seen the clauses pasted below? The first is from the YouTube Terms of Serivce; the other, from the YouTube Community Guidelines.

"7.7 You agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain any third party copyright material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights (including rights of privacy or rights of publicity), unless you have a formal licence or permission from the rightful owner, or are otherwise legally entitled, to post the material in question and to grant YouTube the licence referred to in paragraph 8.1 below."

"Copyright
Respect copyright. Only upload videos that you made or that you're authorized to use. This means don't upload videos you didn't make, or use content in your videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programs, or videos made by other users, without necessary authorizations. Visit our Copyright Center for more information. Learn more"

Reactions: markkaz

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
The answer is no; and you could still draw Content ID claims or strikes. A content owner may change usage policy at any time, and I wonder if you've ever seen the clauses pasted below? The first is from the YouTube Terms of Serivce; the other, from the YouTube Community Guidelines.

"7.7 You agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain any third party copyright material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights (including rights of privacy or rights of publicity), unless you have a formal licence or permission from the rightful owner, or are otherwise legally entitled, to post the material in question and to grant YouTube the licence referred to in paragraph 8.1 below."

"Copyright
Respect copyright. Only upload videos that you made or that you're authorized to use. This means don't upload videos you didn't make, or use content in your videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programs, or videos made by other users, without necessary authorizations. Visit our Copyright Center for more information. Learn more"

ah dang well oh well. Well, wouldnt be a problem if I deleted the videos then if that time ever comes. ive read some forums where people were able to monetize using copyrighted songs. i guess ill find out when the time comes

Last edited:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
ah dang well oh well. Well, wouldnt be a problem if I deleted the videos then if that time ever comes. ive read some forums where people were able to monetize using copyrighted songs. i guess ill find out when the time comes
Those forum posts came from the days YouTube was being rather lax on enforcing its own rules. Those days are gone now as of Jan 2018. Remember when you delete videos, the watch time for those videos will be deleted along with them; plus if the videos with copyrighted songs were where the majority of your views and subs came from in the first place, it would definitely count against you with the review teams.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I had a few people respond from reddit that they were able to monetize with copyright songs from artists

But I think it's also safe to say you guys are not 100% sure unless you personally know someone who tried or have done yourself.

Well only way to tell is to find out myself but still pretty far from that.

If anyone on here personally tried or knows someone please let me know.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I had a few people respond from reddit that they were able to monetize with copyright songs from artists

But I think it's also safe to say you guys are not 100% sure unless you personally know someone who tried or have done yourself.
I can't understand why A: People insist on breaking YouTube's Terms of Service and B: Why they have to be so stubborn about wanting to violate the rules in the first pace.

The YouTube Partner Programme Agreement, to which you must place your digital signature when applying to the YPP, and which like the Terms of Service constitutes a binding legal agreement with YouTube states and I quote here:

"You agree that you will not submit for monetization, any media for which you hold insufficient rights."

So, anyone who says that they sucessfully monetized copyright music could only have done so under two circumstances...

1. Illegal monetizaton which hasn't been detected yet, and which will result in a disabled AdSense and ejection from the YPP when detected

2. The user purchased a Master Sync license; thus legitmizing the use of the music

Reddit in addition, is the worst place I can think of to go for YouTube channel advice!

Since you're obviously determined to do this no matter the danger, just go ahead and do it.

Let us know when you get rejected if you are only just now applying to the YPP; or if you're already a member, let us know when you get kicked from the program.

Last edited:

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I can't understand why A: People insist on breaking YouTube's Terms of Service and B: Why they have to be so stubborn about wanting to violate the rules in the first pace.

The YouTube Partner Programme Agreement, to which you must place your digital signature when applying to the YPP, and which like the Terms of Service constitutes a binding legal agreement with YouTube states and I quote here:

"You agree that you will not submit for monetization, any media for which you hold insufficient rights."

So, anyone who says that they sucessfully monetized copyright music could only have done so under two circumstances...

1. Illegal monetizaton which hasn't been detected yet, and which will result in a disabled AdSense and ejection from the YPP when detected

2. The user purchased a Master Sync license; thus legitmizing the use of the music

Reddit in addition, is the worst place I can think of to go for YouTube channel advice!

Since you're obviously determined to do this no matter the danger, just go ahead and do it.

Let us know when you get rejected if you are only just now applying to the YPP; or if you're already a member, let us know when you get kicked from the program.

when a creator gives your permission to use their music, might be a different story.

plus, it is for entertainment dont really care about making an extra 100 a month from 100k subs lol (according to everides channel he gave out what he makes at 100k) but was just curious about it if its even doable. i mean im a dirtbike channel, going to make videos rather i make money off of it or not lol ive always documented my own rides before youtube. I know ill never be in the millions so its kind of why I dont really care but I am curious about it.

But i just think it is funny people always have a direct answer to a question when they never truly experienced it themselves. But what I am wondering about is the video itself or the entire channel itself. And I am only at 290 subs, im super far away from it. As far as using copy righted songs from artists, think its only on 3 of my videos.

I might be asking a question no one truly knows until they try it themselves. and if I delete those 3 videos, highly doubt it will effect my stats.

but overall, I am just asking or looking for someone who has personal experience with this, not someone who goes off a hunch.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
but overall, I am just asking or looking for someone who has personal experience with this, not someone who goes off a hunch.
Feel free to read through this forum (or even the office YouTube forums) and see the countless threads from people asking why their channel has been demonetized, can't be monetized, or has been suspended. There are plenty of threads to choose from and you would quickly notice that using copyrighted footage/ music without the proper permissions is the common denominator... especially since the 'new' rules have gone into place beginning in 2018.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
YT has gotten more strict, and the claiming companies more aggressive. What may have slipped by in the past probably won't now. I have a few vids that got claimed, but not a strike. The claimant gets the money. Generally I will delete the vid and edit out the "offending" song clip (usually just background noise). Occasionally I leave it let them have the money. I have a holiday vid and Frank Sinatra gets the revenue...

I have a house building vid, with a short piece of some pop song. BMG claimed the revenue. I just let them have it because I did not feel like editing it out.

If you are adding music, just add free music. If it is background music, try to edit around it. As long as it is claimed and they take the revenue (no strike) it is ok, but you are not making money, so what is the point? It is not worth a strike - why risk your channel.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
YT has gotten more strict, and the claiming companies more aggressive. What may have slipped by in the past probably won't now. I have a few vids that got claimed, but not a strike. The claimant gets the money. Generally I will delete the vid and edit out the "offending" song clip (usually just background noise). Occasionally I leave it let them have the money. I have a holiday vid and Frank Sinatra gets the revenue...

I have a house building vid, with a short piece of some pop song. BMG claimed the revenue. I just let them have it because I did not feel like editing it out.

If you are adding music, just add free music. If it is background music, try to edit around it. As long as it is claimed and they take the revenue (no strike) it is ok, but you are not making money, so what is the point? It is not worth a strike - why risk your channel.

the most straight up answer that is straight to the point.. Thank you