Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Can you still have good SEO if you only produce a video every week or two?

Discussion in 'Strategies & Technique Advice' started by Gary Hobbesworth, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $116
    I struggle to produce more than 3 or 4 videos a month, and it leads me to wonder if you can even have halfway decent SEO at that rate, or if anyone with a full-time job who doesn't do less time consuming videos is guaranteed to be buried by YouTube's algorithm. I guess I could upload quick little snippets of stuff I'm working on as previews, but they would probably be only a matter of seconds long, so I don't know if that would matter much. Are there other means of improving your channel's SEO?

Or is it a losing battle? Should I instead rely on myself to get discovered, sharing it with people online (something that's getting increasingly hard to do, because many people have associated links to YouTube videos with spammers) and showing to people you know?

2. UhoohExtra
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $0
    I dont beleive the frequency of your uploads determines their search placement. I think uploading regular is only relevant to channels with lots of subs that may unsub if they dont see new content being made. Also if you let youtube determine how often you upload then your channel becomes a chor not a benefit to you. Also do you really want to start uploading trash just for the sake if uploading something?.. before you know it you will be uploading your morning tooth cleaning routine or as* wiping routine like alot of channels seem to do now. Just make what you like when you like and to hell with what youtube might want.

3. HiEnergy
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $87
    Everybody wants to see that wipe! :D

Joke aside, I think the upload frequency and regularity/predictability is overrated.
    Maybe I'm wrong with my opinion but I upload quite irregularly, just want the videos to be of atleast a minimum quality level and relevance.

Just my 0.02$

BossHogg FGF likes this.
  4. ASMR Amour
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $31
    It kind of depends on the content. If the content takes a lot of work to produce and its great quality then only being able to do like once a week videos is okay. But if it's like a gameplay stuff that is easy to chop together then one video a week is probably not sufficient.

5. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $116
    I feel the same way, I tend to over-edit stuff, so it's much more time consuming than making a quick video where I post raw footage of something. I don't know if I'm outside the norm, but the idea of unsubbing from a channel because it's not uploading new content every single week or two seems ridiculous to me. I'm actually subscribed to 3 channels that sometimes go a whole month without uploading new content, and their subscriber count ranges from 50,000 to 373,000. So clearly if they're losing subs, it's not enough to matter. But I wonder how many of those came from YouTube's search and recommended features and how many are from being shared on sites like Reddit.

The reason I ask because I've heard more than a few places state that you need to upload content regularly for your SEO to be any good. Going by the analytics, I've certainly gotten next to no views from YouTube itself, and the vast majority have been from sharing content elsewhere.

6. Highfalutin' Low Carb
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $26
    I struggle with uploading as often as I should. My videos are long, multi-camera, and take hours to film. A full time job makes it very difficult to keep to a schedule. I started at once a week and now it’s usually 2-3 videos per month. But I’m growing at a pretty quick pace. My last video was almost a month after the prior one and it got 30,000 views within a few weeks.

My motto is “don’t worry about quantity - make good content and have fun doing it.” Because that’s the only way you’ll be able to sustain it. Would more posts be beneficial? SURE! But ONLY if the quality stays the same.

Best of luck!

Gary Hobbesworth and HiEnergy like this.
  7. HiEnergy
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $87
    To me this sounds like the essential gist of this thread.

8. BossHogg FGF
    Cash:
    $32
    As far as I know SEO has nothing to do with upload frequency. Upload frequency might help with the next video suggestion that follows the video just viewed, but I wouldn’t think it affects a video’s search ability.

I always recommend sharing your video in as many relevant places as possible just to get the ball rolling. And SEO is in place for the longevity of the video meaning after it ranks well (searchable tags) and performs well (retention rate) the SEO just keeps it trending. Think of it as the gift that keeps on giving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Hobbesworth likes this.
  9. Travis McP
    Cash:
    $11
    Side note, I just bought an air fryer and I try to eat low carb so I really enjoyed that video. :)

Highfalutin' Low Carb likes this.
  10. Dave2017
    Get The Picture?
    Cash:
    $43
    Yes indeed you can. The fact that you "only" upload 3-4 times a week does that you need to focus onn SEO. I has been said but SEO and upload frequency are two very different things. We all want to make more videos and upload more but it can be hard to find the time and that´s why we need to put a bit more effort into SEO