Can you buy/sell YT Channels?

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi I was wondering if any of you have heard about buying and selling YouTube channels? You know, if you wanted to have a gaming channel for instance but don’t want to start from 0 so you buy a channel with 5000 subs and take it from there?

Have you heard of this? And is it legal??

OzzyMikeNaz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would imagine it is cheaper to buy subs then it would be to buy a channel but yes you can do it and as far as I know there is no violation of the YouTube TOS and there is no laws against it. Why would you want to though?

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Why would you want to though?
I dont want to, I was just wondering.
But dont you think some people would find it easier to take over a channel that is all ready running with subscribers instead of building a channel from scratch?

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I'm guessing it would fall under this:

5. General restrictions on use
5.1 YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service, subject to the following express conditions, and you agree that your failure to adhere to any of these conditions shall constitute a breach of these Terms on your part:

1. you agree not to distribute any part of or parts of the Website or the Service, including but not limited to any Content, in any medium without YouTube's prior written authorisation, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the YouTube Player);
  2. you agree not to alter or modify any part of the Website or any of the Service (including but not limited to the YouTube Player and its related technologies);
  3. you agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Player, or such other means as YouTube may explicitly designate for this purpose;
  4. you agree not to (or attempt to) circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with any security related features of the Service or features that (i) prevent or restrict use or copying of Content or (ii) enforce limitations on use of the Service or the content accessible via the Service;
  5. you agree not to use the Service (including the YouTube Player) for any of the following commercial uses unless you obtain YouTube's prior written approval:
    1. the sale of access to the Service
    2. the sale of advertising, sponsorships or promotions placed on or within the Service, or Content;
    3. the sale of advertising, sponsorships or promotions on any page of an ad-enabled blog or website containing Content delivered via the Service unless other material not obtained from YouTube appears on the same page and is of sufficient value to be the basis for such sales
Since you're giving them "access" for a set fee. I have heard of it done, it's probably a lot more common than we think just done under the table.

https://www.youtube.com/t/terms

OzzyMikeNaz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm guessing it would fall under this:

Since you're giving them "access" for a set fee. I have heard of it done, it's probably a lot more common than we think just done under the table.
I believe what they are referring to there is the service of YouTube website itself and not about handing over an individual channel and it's content. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to upload sponsored content.
I dont want to, I was just wondering.
But dont you think some people would find it easier to take over a channel that is all ready running with subscribers instead of building a channel from scratch?
Not really, chances are if someone is subscribed to that channel they like the content it already provides and unless you are taking over a channel in which you have no intention of changing anything, including the people in the videos you'll probably find majority of people unsubscribe when the content changes and feel cheated.

Reactions: Sam4God

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I believe what they are referring to there is the service of YouTube website itself and not about handing over an individual channel and it's content. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to upload sponsored content.
Reading over it there are a few other sections that could be interpreted as "you're not allowed to sell your channel" but with Brand Accounts, etc. being a thing and their ability to be transferred and sold with the brand it can get a bit hard to find a definite answer, regardless I wouldn't go into it myself since if Google doesn't allow it they can easily shut down that channel and then that person would only have me to turn to for a refund lol and also for the reason you stated in the second part of your message.

Reactions: OzzyMikeNaz

TwoTakes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hi I was wondering if any of you have heard about buying and selling YouTube channels? You know, if you wanted to have a gaming channel for instance but don’t want to start from 0 so you buy a channel with 5000 subs and take it from there?

Have you heard of this? And is it legal??
You would be better off using that money to employ a talented creative media team to create good content and then paying for a marketing.

Or maybe use the money to create content other people can't- e.g. the SloMo Guys who had an awesome slow-motion camera so they could create a different kind of video.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Ignoring whether or not this is against the TOS since there seems to be some disagreement over whether it is or not - there are a bunch of reasons you'd want to be extra careful if you did something like this.

Firstly, it would be a huge mistake to purchase a channel that wasn't making the same kind of videos as you plan to make. If you bought a channel with 50,000 subscribers, that was say a music channel.. and you started posting gaming videos. Guess what, those subscribers aren't going to be interested. So now you just have a bunch of dead subscribers, and you're no better off than someone who did something as dumb as sub4sub.

Now let's say that you buy a channel in the same genre. Well now you also have a problem: The fans. People who were genuine fans of the person before you who owned the channel will likely be up in arms about the new ownership. Dislike brigading videos, mass unsubscribing, and simply not watching your videos in the first place. If you really wanted to avoid this, the person owning the channel would really have to introduce you gradually. Get you featured on the channel from time to time long before the switch was made, so that their viewer base was familiar with and already liked you before the transition. Even then, even if you did that, a significant percentage of the subscribers would no longer be interested in you, because certain things about the original owner that made them subscribe are no longer there with your version of the channel.

Then there's the fact that you haven't learned anything. It's all very well having a bunch of subscribers for free, but if you handed over say PewDiePie's channel to the average person who's just started YouTube, they'd run that channel into the ground in under a month. There are certain things about growing and maintaining a channel that you only learn through direct experience and through doing those things yourself. So if you just take on what someone else has already built, you aren't going to be able to really continue with it very easily. You would really need the person to sit you down over several days and teach you step by step their entire process: from editing, to SEO, to external advertising etc.

It's why a lot of people born into wealthy families end up being unsuccessful despite all the advantages they had. They had money from the get go so they didn't have any real reason to learn how to make it. As a result they never learnt how to be successful, and just mooched for as long as they could until that was no longer an option and they had to get a regular job. On the contrary, a lot of the most successful and wealthy people had very humble beginnings - because to grow even a little when you start off with nothing, takes a lot of hard work, so you really learn how to be successful along the way. These same people can even lose all their millions/billions, only to have most/all of it back a few years later - because they learned the strategies along the way.

On the other hand, let someone win the lottery, and sure they might have $10M.. but what happens once they've spent it? They don't get it back, because they never learned how to get there. It was just given to them for free with no instructions.

Same thing applies here. What happens when the new channel you buy runs into issues that you've never faced because you've never grown a channel to that size before? What do you do?

That's not to say that it can't work, but I just don't think it's a good investment, unless you're say getting a channel with like 100,000 subscribers for pennies. I wouldn't do it, even if TOS does allow it.

As @TwoTakes said: Better to spend that money on things that will allow you to make higher quality videos. Better recording equipment and lighting. Editing software. Other software like say VideoScribe if you're that sort of channel. Hire someone to do annotations or even someone to help you learn SEO etc.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
a bunch of reasons you'd want to be extra careful if you did something like this.
Exactly. I was not planning to do this but just wondering if it was legal and if anyone here have heard about YT channels being sold

If you bought a channel with 50,000 subscribers, that was say a music channel.. and you started posting gaming videos. Guess what, those subscribers aren't going to be interested
Yes of course that’s obvious, but thanks for clearing that :)

The fans. People who were genuine fans of the person
This one I haven’t given much thought, but now you mention it I think you have a point. You are absolutely right of course people would expect it to be the same person, most of the time anyways. I have however seen a lot of channels I my field where other make videos but that’s a different story and has to do with collab

Then there's the fact that you haven't learned anything.
I learn every day or try to anyways.

There are certain things about growing and maintaining a channel that you only learn through direct experience and through doing those things yourself.
This is true, I know that as well, but thanks for pointing that out:)

It's why a lot of people born into wealthy families end up being unsuccessful despite all the advantages they had. They had money from the get go so they didn't have any real reason to learn how to make it. As a result they never learnt how to be successful, and just mooched for as long as they could until that was no longer an option and they had to get a regular job. On the contrary, a lot of the most successful and wealthy people had very humble beginnings - because to grow even a little when you start off with nothing, takes a lot of hard work, so you really learn how to be successful along the way
I agree with you in this analysis. As you mention you see this a lot, or hear the stories anyways. Of course you can always find examples that contradicts it, but again I think there is somewhat of a point to this

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you want my channel id sell it for £50'000