Can Wikipedia save YouTube from conspiracy theorists?

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Now YouTube's way of stepping up to the challenge of fighting misinformation is by working on linking directly to wikipedia.

"Wired. com" noted that the new Information Cues feature would surface links to Wikipedia pages on videos about things like chemtrails and whether humans have ever landed on the moon. YouTube will first supplement videos that focus on common conspiracy theories floating around the web this way.

is this the best YouTube can do?

Reactions: Crown and nad

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The power is to the people, they say.
Nowadays that everyone can have a phone / computer and access to the web
it is the revenge of the generations that state and society failed to educate.
They are not speechless any more like the days people watched consipracy theories on VHS.
The can spread their message, whatever their "truth" is, they can just kill time and bandwidth,
furthermore they can bully anyone that might try to confront them with arguments.

Although I can say so many bad things for Youtube, in this one I believe that
it is not it's duty to really educate people. After all every "conspiracy" theory
can be renamed to "fiction" or just "weird entertainment" or something like that....
edit: I have watched some of those videos my self tbh :) :p

Reactions: Boris Qs

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nowadays that everyone can have a phone / computer and access to the web
it is the revenge of the generations that state and society failed to educate.
Wow, I have not looked at it that way before but it makes complete sense ...Thanks for sharing

Reactions: videoeditgr

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's certainly not the best that YouTube can do, but it's probably one of the more cost-effective ways of doing it.

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
is this the best YouTube can do?
Yes. Youtube has time and time again proven they are clueless.

"Hey guys, let's give radical leftists, and a foreign lobby (AIPAC) unlimited access to ban anyone they don't agree with" - Youtube

Reactions: Crown and Cephus

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
With the internet, we can access any information we want - however, it has also lead to an explosion of fringe ideologies. With a thing powerful as the internet, it was bound to happen. People who invent things always think that their inventions will be used for the most noble purpose possible... that's now how human nature, in general, works.
Dynamite? Cool, we can now mine ores more easily! [People use dynamite in warfare
Internet? Wow, the WHOLE WORLD will become educated! [Cue p**n music and flat earth spinning sound]
Right now, in Serbia, we had a couple of deaths related to a smallpox epidemics due to anti-vacc activity.

Reactions: videoeditgr

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I would argue that the users making those videos wont want links to sources that contradict their content and even if that's a more productive solution, I think that this isn't YouTube's place to add links to users content without their consent