Can ugly people be successful on a visual platform?

PNWmom

I want to start a channel (parenting/crafts) but I don't look like successful youtubers. I see mommy youtubers who get 200k subs in 2 years. They are blonde, thin and beautiful with gorgeous homes. Can an overweight and low key ugly me find that success?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I want to start a channel (parenting/crafts) but I don't look like successful youtubers. I see mommy youtubers who get 200k subs in 2 years. They are blonde, thin and beautiful with gorgeous homes. Can an overweight and low key ugly me find that success?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Yes actually, there’s plenty of less “beautiful” looking successful YouTubers..

however, as it is in the entertainment business, it sure does help if your blonde thin and beautiful.. but on the other hand at least your viewers and subs are genuine and interested in your personality and your stories..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

While it's definitely easier if you're attractive, it's not necessarily a requirement. YouTube isn't just about looks, it's also about personality, content, and quality! There's a lot of YouTubers out there who are doing well for themselves despite not being the most beautiful or handsome. If you're still self conscious about it, you could always try doing videos that don't require being on camera, but honestly I wouldn't get too hung up on how you look.

hello yes i definitely think that conventional beauty is not necessarily a requirement of a successful youtube channel. it certainly helps and oftentimes you see people catapulted into popularity when they are conventionally attractive, but there are plenty of youtubers i watch that i don't necessarily deem attractive but enjoy their content nonetheless.

Yes -- and many successful YouTubers even choose to never show themselves on camera. I think looks can help a lot, but they will fade with time. I think the biggest thing that keeps viewers engaged (aside from the content itself) is being relatable. Also, looks somewhat depend on how good the lighting is....I've become convinced that great lighting, audio, and an HD camera can make anyone seem like a million bucks.

Well I mean Casey Neistat is pretty successful and he's not exactly a looker. And a lot of YouTubers don't even show their face in the majority of their videos, so yes ugly people can be successful. Also up the self-esteem man don't be so hard on yourself...

Yes of course you can:) I think you only see "Good Looking" youtubers because you focus on that now:) As mentioned in this thread you see a lot of "less good looking" youtubers with plenty of succes. Of course looks matters to some but if you create good content you will find that looks wont matter that much:) And there are ways to start a channel without being on camera too:up2:;)

I'm also not on camera in most of my videos.
Those that show my face are either unlisted (my 20 seconds Christmas address and my professionally shot yet cringeworthy "Unboxing the new microphone" video) or show myself from far away (the "Datenwolke" performance).
Next video that is going to show me on camera will be my 500 subs Q&A.
Apart from that: I look quite average.

Yeah definitely. For me I watch youtubers for their content and not there looks. If you put out content that you would enjoy then you can definitely be successful.

Back