Can song covers still get monetized?

Ashley Hedge

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been answered. But I watch a lot of youtube vloggers and have heard them recently say that even if they sing less than 5 seconds of a song, even without an instrumental, just a quick line or two from a song as a joke, that their video gets copyright claimed. So I was wondering if just singing a line of a song in the middle of a ten minute vlog gets it claimed, can people still monetize full song cover videos anymore? I was hoping to eventually post song covers but if they dont get monetized anymore then that sucks.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I found this maybe it can help you support.google.com/youtube/answer/3301938?hl=en
Music Industry is either really protective or really greedy, I wouldn't recommend trying to build a channel from cover songs or anything similar but you can try if you think is worth it.
Good Luck!

Gits and Shiggles

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well you remember napster right? The music industry doesn't like it when quarterly projections are down .05%

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Here in the Philippines karaoke is god. When I am filming there is quite often a song in the background. I have to remove every trace of it or lose monetization. Recently I posted a vid with a short section of a crappy midi, no singing, unrecognizable song - and it got claimed. I have taken to filming with no narration, and just remove any trace of music and do voice over at home. I do not like it as much, but it is all I can to keep the songs out.

They are so greedy it feels like the big companies must have let subcontractors have the job, and a cut of the money. They are vicious in their claims.