Can song covers still get monetized?

Sorry if this has already been answered. But I watch a lot of youtube vloggers and have heard them recently say that even if they sing less than 5 seconds of a song, even without an instrumental, just a quick line or two from a song as a joke, that their video gets copyright claimed. So I was wondering if just singing a line of a song in the middle of a ten minute vlog gets it claimed, can people still monetize full song cover videos anymore? I was hoping to eventually post song covers but if they dont get monetized anymore then that sucks.

I found this maybe it can help you support.google.com/youtube/answer/3301938?hl=en
Music Industry is either really protective or really greedy, I wouldn't recommend trying to build a channel from cover songs or anything similar but you can try if you think is worth it.
Good Luck!

Here in the Philippines karaoke is god. When I am filming there is quite often a song in the background. I have to remove every trace of it or lose monetization. Recently I posted a vid with a short section of a crappy midi, no singing, unrecognizable song - and it got claimed. I have taken to filming with no narration, and just remove any trace of music and do voice over at home. I do not like it as much, but it is all I can to keep the songs out.

They are so greedy it feels like the big companies must have let subcontractors have the job, and a cut of the money. They are vicious in their claims.

Back