Can Someone Please Explain Youtubes SEO To Me Like I'm Five

DivideAndConquer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi My name is Trevor! :) Now ive looked at 100s of Youtube videos that supposedly explain how youtubes SEO works and how to optomise it but they all do the same thing and go into supper technical talk that i swear is for rocket scientists. lol anyway if anyone could explain it to me as though i was five that would be awesome! lol the things i really want to know the most is
1 how it all works and what it looks for?
2 how can i tell if a tag is a good one or not?
3 where can i find good tags? (i have tube buddy and thats what i use now)
4 how do i go about promoting my videos or should i not promote them?
5 how do back links work?
6 how can i rank my videos better?
7 anything else that has to do with the SEO or making my channel better! :)

thank you so much for your time really it means alot that you stopped by and took a look at this thread and it would mean the world to me if you could answer these questions thank you so much! :) i hope you all have an awesome day!

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All SEO simply boils down to having "rich" data and relevant keywords, and then you can expand onto that. Basically you want to think about what people are going to search.

If you are making a video about how to crack an egg with one hand, don't name it something strange that people won't search, like: "Watch me crack this egg one handed!" it would be more relevant to name the video "How to crack an egg with one hand", In most cases.

Then you want to make sure relevant keywords are listed, in our example you would do cooking/egg related keywords. If you want suggestions, go to youtube and start to search for "egg" and see what automatic suggestions come up.

The more information the more Google and Youtube can learn. Subtitles, a rich description, even comments. All data is relevant. Keep it consistent, relevant, and plentiful.

CraftingNomad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
All SEO simply boils down to having "rich" data and relevant keywords, and then you can expand onto that. Basically you want to think about what people are going to search.

If you are making a video about how to crack an egg with one hand, don't name it something strange that people won't search, like: "Watch me crack this egg one handed!" it would be more relevant to name the video "How to crack an egg with one hand", In most cases.

Then you want to make sure relevant keywords are listed, in our example you would do cooking/egg related keywords. If you want suggestions, go to youtube and start to search for "egg" and see what automatic suggestions come up.

The more information the more Google and Youtube can learn. Subtitles, a rich description, even comments. All data is relevant. Keep it consistent, relevant, and plentiful.
I don't know if description means anything on YouTube because I see people pop-up first in search results that use the same description in all the same videos.

Check out the mindcrackers.

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't know if description means anything on YouTube because I see people pop-up first in search results that use the same description in all the same videos.

Check out the mindcrackers.
I assure that it matters very much, but is holding a weight in a pool of other factors as well.

Back2RespawnYT

Entertainer :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
I assure that it matters very much, but is holding a weight in a pool of other factors as well.
Ampix0 is actually right on the money with the comment. The description is probably one of the most underrated sections that youtube content creators don't use because they think that google don't pay attention to it at all. But if I can interest you in this example. If you were to look up something on google anything right, those exact words that you typed in are kinda highlighted throughout the search results. 9 times out the 10 it is not in the title it is in fact in the BODY of the website. Which in example for youtube is exactly like the description.

Moral of the tip, don't under estimate the description through research and actually trying it out my self the description HELPS your videos get noticed buddy, so use them! :)

Reactions: DivideAndConquer

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Eli5:
Use words, phrases, and sentences in the tags
Description and title where you can fit them appropriatlely. use words, phrases, or sentences the public might use to search for videos similar to yours.

Reactions: Back2RespawnYT

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi My name is Trevor! :) Now ive looked at 100s of Youtube videos that supposedly explain how youtubes SEO works and how to optomise it but they all do the same thing and go into supper technical talk that i swear is for rocket scientists. lol anyway if anyone could explain it to me as though i was five that would be awesome! lol the things i really want to know the most is
1 how it all works and what it looks for?
2 how can i tell if a tag is a good one or not?
3 where can i find good tags? (i have tube buddy and thats what i use now)
4 how do i go about promoting my videos or should i not promote them?
5 how do back links work?
6 how can i rank my videos better?
7 anything else that has to do with the SEO or making my channel better! :)

thank you so much for your time really it means alot that you stopped by and took a look at this thread and it would mean the world to me if you could answer these questions thank you so much! :) i hope you all have an awesome day!

1) The basic concept: Youtube CANNOT see your video. So, "metadata" is a fancy way of describing your video to someone who has never seen your video, so that they can decide who to share that video with. If you were describing that video, you might use several tools: for example, you might just explain in sentences and paragraphs what the video is about ("description"). You might give a quick phrase to describe it ("title"). You might give them several general topics and words that the video is about ("tags"). And if you speak in the video, you might even give them a transcript so they would know what was said ("submitted subtitles.")

Additionally, YouTube does their own research by seeing what people who has already watched the videos already think about it. So they will ask people who watched the video, "Hey, how much of this video did you watch? How many other videos did you watch after ward." This is called "watch time" and is tracked in your "Analytics"

YouTube takes these two things -- "Metadata" and "analytics" -- to determine what topics and search terms are relevant to your videos, and how highly it should rank your videos. YouTube's goal is to maximize watch time for its viewers, so it wants to show its viewers videos that they are likely to enjoy so they will keep watching YouTube. Your job is to help YouTube understand where your videos would be most appreciated.

2) A tag is good if (1) it describes your content, (2) it is something that people would search for, and (3) is something that people would search for and want to see your content for. A tag is even better if you can rank in the first page of youtube search results for them.

3) You can do this in TubeBuddy, but one thing I usually do is I begin typing my proposed keywords in youtube search. Youtube will show auto-complete suggestions -- these represent search terms other people have actually searched for in the past, so I know that people are searching for those. If any of those are relevant to my video, I add them. (In TubeBuddy's Tag Explorer, this is the "Auto-Suggested" tab)

4) I think you want to make sure that your metadata (titles, tags, descriptions) is in a good place first...you want to make sure that you're getting a good amount of your traffic from YouTube search. That being said, if you want to promote, then you need to find communities that are targeted to your niche, and that you are already an active participant in. People can smell spam from a mile away, and they don't appreciate it, so you have to realize that promotion is about building relationships, providing people with what they want, etc.,

5) Backlinks don't really affect YouTube internal SEO, but the way they work in generally is that Google (for Google search purposes) looks at more factors than just the ones I mentioned in my answer to item (1) above. One of these is seeing that a particular article or site is getting engaged by other sites -- especially if those other sites already have credibility. So, getting backlinks is the process of getting your content linked from sites that Google has already identified as credible.

6) See answers to 1, 2, and 3. Ultimately, having good analytic data (watch time, audience retention) will matter in the long run (this is why you will find that there are often a lot of folks with really bad metadata in the first page of results -- they've already proven themselves with the watch time), but while you're small, you can do the best you can by targeting certain keywords effectively. You probably won't be able to rank for short keywords (e.g., one or two words), so you want to think of phrases that people might be searching for.

7) Submitted subtitles also contribute to SEO, so if you have a transcript to your videos, you might think about submitting them to youtube. Also, keep in mind that there are other factors which aren't purely "SEO" that can affect things. For example, it doesn't matter if you rank in page 1 of search if your thumbnails are unappealing, because people won't click if the thumbnail is really bad. And it doesn't matter if you have the best metadata in the world if the video is not engaging -- people will click away, and then your watch time and audience retention will be poor. Remember that YouTube ultimately cares about analytics -- what keeps viewers watching longer? So if your analytics are bad, then your videos will rank lower.

Last edited:

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is some great advice in here, thanks guys. Really answers a lot of questions that I also had on my mind haha

Reactions: DivideAndConquer

DivideAndConquer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
thank you so much to every one who posted honestly this has been one of the most confusing things of youtube for me! i am sorry i did not post sooner but life kinda got caoitc for me in the past few days lol but everything is better now!