Can some people here be a little nicer please?

Crustacean

Reaction score
I got demonetised recently but got it back on first review. While I was demonetised, I checked out these forums and couldn't believe the hate and negativity around here, so I decided to create this account and make this thread.

1- harsh words
People need to understand that a lot of people don't understand English very well and/or are very young, so please be patient. I don't think terms like:
'How stupid can it get?' Or
'Signs of desperation everywhere.'
Are constructive or nice. They are just made to make people feel bad and to tease people.

2- negativity
If someone asks 'why is it taking so long for my channel to be reviewed?'. Don't reply with 'you're just going to be rejected anyway, so you're waiting for nothing'. Instead reply with 'I noticed you used some copyrighted material without permission in some of your videos, I recommended deleting these videos quickly so you have a better chance of being approved'.

3- wrong advice
YouTube themselves clearly states you can use royalty free music on your videos (they even have this in their creator studio!). Yet I've read on these forums that you have to create EVERYTHING yourself in order to be approved. This is plain wrong and has been proven wrong. Yet when it was proven wrong, the person doesn't say sorry or anything, they just ignore the thread despite being very active on these forums.

There are some nice people on here so this is not directed at them, but to the people being mean, please be a little more sympathetic and tactful in what you say. Remember there is literally a lot of money at stake and it's a sensitive issue to begin with. Thanks.

Reactions: Farley Productions

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think it's important to let people have a voice so long as things don't get carried away. If nobody ever challenged what I think, then I'd probably make A LOT of bad decisions, lol... Not to say having lots of negativity is a good thing (I've been there, too, and that's no fun...), but different perspectives are good to at least become more aware of different ideas, and to make you think about stuff a little more. :)

If things get too heated and intense, then the staff will shut topics down. Sometimes that happens. However, stuff that happens outside of the forums aren't things the staff can control...

I, too, have my own beliefs about public domain and creative commons stuff, and strongly believe in contributing to the creative commons. But, some people have had negative experiences with using those kinds of clips in their videos, and I think hearing their stories might help others make better-informed decisions. Some people claim to have had fully licensed video clips, and yet are still hit with monetization troubles. Others claim they've used CC clips with no problems. I tend to think I'm only hearing 30% of the important details from either story each time they come up, but they are still good to acknowledge.

However, I know I have seen a lot of people asking why their stolen content-re-uploads aren't monetizeable. When I see stuff like that, it really bugs me -- and I think it'd bug a lot of people who spend an enormous amount of time making video content... :eek: Different threads have different context which can shift the meaning of the discussion.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@Crustacean

As you are quite obviously aiming directly at me with this topic (both of the threads mentioned are threads I began), perhaps I should explain why as you put it, I show so much "hate and negativity".

I spend a good portion of my week on the YouTube Support Community. I'm a Silver Level Google Product Expert in the area of YouTube, and what you are seeing, is the result of actual threads I've had to deal with.

Google Translate, as bad as it is, leaves no excuse for ESL speakers to use improper grammar, and I am sure they know proper sentence structure in their own language. So why not take a properly constructed sentence in their own language, put same into Google Translate, and post properly?

Likewise, the "How Stupid Can It Get?" thread is the result of someone who could not be bothered to actually read and/or translate the YouTube Terms of Service, Community Guidelines and YouTube Partner Programme Policy Set. I'm sure you're aware that you are supposed to read and understand these first two before you check the box at account signup which says you've done so? And that you are supposed to have read and understood the last one before you apply to the YouTube Partner Programme; yes?

If you are clearly told that you are not allowed to use copyrighted media in videos you intend to monetize (Indeed the YouTube Terms Of Service clearly state you're not allowed to post unlicensed copyright media at all), or break another site's Terms of Service to make your YouTube content, should we actually soft-pedal the blow when you deliberately violate the rules?

These YouTubers come onto the Support Fora, with arrogant attitudes ("Review immediately approved"), expecting Product Expert respondents to correct their mistakes (re-enable my monetization) when it was their own actions which led to the disablement of their monetization in the first place (most likely due to the first statement about cannot be bothered to read the rules of the road), when we are not YouTube Employees; so have no such powers.

Then when they cannot get what they want from the Official Support fora, they come here, thinking possibly people even farther removed from YouTube can assist when those more closely associated could not?

As if this isn't enough, they insist on asking the same question over multiple threads simply because they are not getting the exact answer they want to hear; usually because the answer they want doesn't exist.

Now if after this explanation you still think me hateful and negative, then I proudly stand guilty as charged; as there is only so much a person should take from anyone.

Addendum: There isn't as much money as you think at stake for most people. When YouTube did the "great demonetization run" in February of 2018, YT Admin stated that most channels losing their partnership were making less than $200.00 per year.

This is another problem; people keep thinking "YouTube is going to make my living"; when for most people this is so far from the truth, that they would be better off going out and getting a job. This is the root of the "Signs of Desperation Are Everywhere" thread. People were then, and are still at this moment, casting about for any type of media they think YouTube will monetize; as long as they don't have to create the content themselves!

Last edited:

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
3- wrong advice
YouTube themselves clearly states you can use royalty free music on your videos (they even have this in their creator studio!). Yet I've read on these forums that you have to create EVERYTHING yourself in order to be approved. This is plain wrong and has been proven wrong. Yet when it was proven wrong, the person doesn't say sorry or anything, they just ignore the thread despite being very active on these forums.
Yes, and anymore I try to only use music from: I spent over an hour Saturday trying to find the right music/feel for my latest video.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
most channels losing their partnership were making less than $200.00 per year.
Although I do agree most of the people asking to join the YTPP will probably not get monetization enabled based on their current situation in threads being discussed, I do think it's important to highlight the words, "most channels," in that sentence. The number of channels who were demonetized and didn't make a living from YouTube greatly outnumber the channels who were making a decent income. But it's still important to keep in mind that some people's livelihoods may have depended on a monetized channel that lost monetization due to one of the recent changes. Although that case is probably quite rare, it still exists.

Most people, regardless of their financial situation, do seem pretty demanding about the whole thing. Everyone's backlash is probably blurred together. Even though they all have something in common ("not meeting the new guidelines"), some people may be a lot more upset about the situation than others.

That came to mind when I read that...I just thought I'd mention it. ^^

I also need to mention that it's really difficult trying to help all those people for free on the forum like that. People working or volunteering in customer service really do become the public's punching bag. Many people don't realize that unless they work in it, too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: UKHypnotist