Can my audio issue be fixed? or is it me?

Sinful Tales

Reaction score
So im getting into youtube pretty new. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing and i decided to do the voice over audio for the first 2 videos i posted with my iphone. The quality is actually decent for what it is and i think i can adjust the recording angle in the future to make it better. But my main issue is that i feel like some of my words sound slurred and almost as if im not speaking properly. That confuses me because i know from my life i actually have a solid public speaking skill and im pretty articulate. So im wondering if the reason im getting that is because im just using an iphone to record. I also notice mouth sounds on the recording a little bit and i also wonder if its due to the mic on the phone and not so much myself because ive never been told i make mouth sounds when i speak and i have asked lol. Anyway im thinking if i cant solve this ill just buy a good mic to record audio with but if i can fix this with my iphone i would like to because its honestly just too simple for me to throw my phone down and start talking while i play my games. Any advice or letting me know if im doing something wrong would be much appreciated!

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So im getting into youtube pretty new. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing and i decided to do the voice over audio for the first 2 videos i posted with my iphone. The quality is actually decent for what it is and i think i can adjust the recording angle in the future to make it better. But my main issue is that i feel like some of my words sound slurred and almost as if im not speaking properly. That confuses me because i know from my life i actually have a solid public speaking skill and im pretty articulate. So im wondering if the reason im getting that is because im just using an iphone to record. I also notice mouth sounds on the recording a little bit and i also wonder if its due to the mic on the phone and not so much myself because ive never been told i make mouth sounds when i speak and i have asked lol. Anyway im thinking if i cant solve this ill just buy a good mic to record audio with but if i can fix this with my iphone i would like to because its honestly just too simple for me to throw my phone down and start talking while i play my games. Any advice or letting me know if im doing something wrong would be much appreciated!
I have recorded with my iPhone before and haven't experienced this. I know it can pick up small noises a bit more than a good mic would though. I would try messing around with your audio setting and levels in whatever program you're editing with and see if you can minimize the "mouth noises". If you're not able to fix it that way I would recommend getting an actual mic for future videos :) there was a good thread on here yesterday and the title was something like "cheap mic good quality" so I would look at that because it had a lot of really good info on enhancing audio in videos :) Good luck!

FrankCos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
After watching a bit of your videos - and I'm assuming this is the iphone audio you're referring to -I don't think anything's wrong with your mic. You're probably experiencing the normal strangeness of hearing your own voice. This perspective can cause you to notice the little quirks of your speech.

Your speech is totally fine, which is why no one's ever commented on it, but now you're comparing yourself to professional voice talent, and therein lies the issue.

Couple of tips:

Keep hydrated! Luke warm water or hot tea is ideal. (Cold temperatures constrict the throat. Dairy creates phlegm. Sugary drinks dry out the mouth.) If you can edit it out, take quick breaks and take a drink. Mouth sounds generally come from one or more of these factors.

If you're noticing a particular mouth sound, just try to recreate it and troubleshoot it. Chances are you can fix it with a little TLC (stay hydrated, brush your teeth and tongue, etc) or by altering the way you move your mouth.

Over enunciate. If you feel like you're being too exaggerated, you're probably doing it right. There's a balance to this, but try to be conscious of the words you're speaking and nail each syllable.

Technical stuff: There are better mics out there, but I wouldn't call this an important buy. A windscreen may help soften P's and S's, but again, that's a minor change. Most importantly, I'd second what @Blunt Brittany said about tweaking audio levels. Get in there and play around. I'd recommend boosting the lower end of your audio. Give yourself ay little more bass.