Can movie and TV show clips be monetized?

juventino

Reaction score
Since the ad revenue changes earlier this year, can clips from movies and shows be monetized?

How about multiple clips in a top-5 format or highlights from games?

I'm new to uploading content. Just playing around with YT and video making now. Wondering if any of those can be monetized.

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Since the ad revenue changes earlier this year, can clips from movies and shows be monetized?
I think ad revenue changes has nothing to do with copyright. Those clips will get claimed and your channel possibly striked, and terminated.

Learn the basics of Fair Use Law before you plan to use copyrighted content.

Last edited:
Reactions: juventino

juventino

Reaction score
I think ad revenue changes has nothing to do with copyright. Those clips will get claimed and your channel possibly striked, and terminated.

Learn the basics of Fair Use Law before you plan to use copyrighted content.
That makes sense and is fair. Out of curiosity, how are there so many YTers getting away with it?

Soccer highlights videos are either mirror images or zoomed in/cropped. But YT is full of clips from TV shows and movies which seem unedited.

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That makes sense and is fair. Out of curiosity, how are there so many YTers getting away with it?
As I said, you don't know whether those clips are claimed or not. Some people like to upload copyrighted material for the sole purpose of gaining subscribers, and it's ok for them if they don't receive any revenue.