Can I use videogame soundtrack in my videos?

Hazzador

I Love YTtalk
I have no idea if they are copyrighted or not. I have also seen lots of videos where people have used soundtracks and just put in the description 'In Game Music' and seem to have no copyright issues. Does anybody know the rules to videogame soundtracks?

I have no idea if they are copyrighted or not. I have also seen lots of videos where people have used soundtracks and just put in the description 'In Game Music' and seem to have no copyright issues. Does anybody know the rules to videogame soundtracks?

It really depends on the people who created the game and what the rules are for it. Most video games allow you to have the music in the background some don't Example Minecraft has made a statement that you can use their music that is in-game in your videos, like I said most of them you won't get in trouble I'm a gaming YouTuber and all the videos I've recorded & uploaded I've had no issues with. Most of them won't simply because if you think about it. That's us advertising their game at no cost to them so most of them want us to make videos on their games it's like free advertisements.

All music is copyrighted, so never ever assumed you're 100% safe. There's always 2 things you do need to be careful of though.

A) Generally an original soundtrack/Original Score/OST (so basically a soundtrack/music/sound effects etc... composed specifically for the title, e.g. Doom, Assassin's Creed, Horizon, Gravity Rush & often many indie games) are unlikely to attract content ID claims or even copyright claims, this is because the publisher/developer retain copyrights & sometimes even distribution rights to the game and that can sometimes apply to the music in the game as well. Even then, you're much better off contacting the developer/copyright holder, better safe than sorry. I'd suggest it for the game in general.

B) A soundtrack (so soundtracks that use a collection of 3rd party music, e.g. GTA, Watch Dogs, Forza, Sleeping Dogs, Need For Speed) are very likely to attract content ID claims or even copyright claims. Generally I turn off music altogether in games like these.

If you're ever in doubt for any specific title, just contact the copyright holder. Fair use doesn't apply to music in the same way that it does to games.

I have also seen lots of videos where people have used soundtracks and just put in the description 'In Game Music' and seem to have no copyright issues.
Putting things like "copyright infringement not intended" in the description is about as useful as a cold blooded murderer telling the judge they didn't intend to kill their victim and getting released completely free of conviction. It does not work & if they're getting away with it, either they're featuring games that fit in category A). Or they're getting lucky, it's usually the latter.

ke I said most of them you won't get in trouble I'm a gaming YouTuber and all the videos I've recorded & uploaded I've had no issues with.
That's because literally every game you've uploaded a video of so far, has had music specifically composed for it, bar GMod. A lot of indie titles are good like that, they usually can't afford to pay royalties to large artists or record labels. Little guys helping little guys I say.

Best thing I can suggest when contacting developers for permission and asking if you can use their games; is to specifically ask to use both visual & audio content from games they own the copyrights to. You can literally word it like that too or: "I would like to know if INSERTPUBLISHERNAME would allow me to produce transformative works (Previews, Let's Plays, Reviews etc.) using both visual & audio content from games you own the copyrights to?" (I actually got that from AlloySeven's template). They will actually tell you if the music is not theirs and even tell you if there's titles they don't own the distribution rights to. I think the devs of Shadowrun told me they didn't own the rights to Shadowrun but Microsoft did, so I had to go by Microsoft's policy on publishing & monetization.

I know there is a big deal about it with console games and very well know large games, you can network with someone who has contracts with people that will allow you to do so, or like the above poster said contract the owners and ask for permission. I see a lot of gaming YouTubers who do games like that are connected with machinima network.

I know there is a big deal about it with console games and very well know large games, you can network with someone who has contracts with people that will allow you to do so, or like the above poster said contract the owners and ask for permission. I see a lot of gaming YouTubers who do games like that are connected with machinima network.
Being in a network doesn't exempt them from copyright laws though.

Granted not all MCN's will have this like I said before a lot of gamers with network with machinima to get those gameplay deals.
Hang on , music in gameplay is different though. If I were part of an MCN I'd be asking to see in writing that they have a binding contract which would exempt them from any copyright responsibilities. Which I highly doubt they do, that goes back to the old myths that MCNs protected you from copyright strikes on games. I know MCNs have their own libraries of music to use in videos, but using it from a game that has 3rd party music is different, 3rd party music requires royalties to be paid by the developers/publishers. It's why Rockstar had issues with San Andreas in the past, music literally had to be patched out of the game cause their license ran out, eventually it was fixed. From what I'm aware of, a developer/publisher can't legally pass this license onto an MCN nor a content creator.

Back