Can I use any music for my youtube videos?

Thomas Plant

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi guys,
Today I have been hit with a copyright warning because in my latest video I used a 50 Cent song.
I thought as long as I wasn't making money from the videos, it was ok ?

Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance !
Thomas Plant

Br00tal

No Mercy For The Weak
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Copyrighted content -> no no.
You need to have permissions before using a song in the video.

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Copyrighted content is still copyrighted, even though you don't monetize. So, you're wrong.

ghostlyrich

Vagaterian
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
no your aloud to please read up on using royalty free music it will save you a lot of trouble.

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Today I have been hit with a copyright warning because in my latest video I used a 50 Cent song.
I thought as long as I wasn't making money from the videos, it was ok ?

Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance !
Thomas Plant
You are wrong. Copyrighted music requires either a special licence or permission from the artist to use anywhere other than on your iPod or stereo privately.

jamsterkid

My name is James, and i am 50% of PopcornGamers
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
if you need music to use in your video use music copywrited under the creative commons 3.0

this website is the best one out there, you can use all the music, just credit Kevin McLeod in the bottom. the website is called incompetech, go to royalty free music and then go to full search

fabianlorenzo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You can use instrumental songs, like you want to put the script - hall of fame in your video. This is copyright, but when you put hall of fame instrumental song in it, it is not copyright.

ChillNation

Say Hi everybody
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You can only use uncopyrighted music by friend.

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
if you need music to use in your video use music copywrited under the creative commons 3.0
Just a quick note here, that just because something is licensed under Creative Commons, it doesn't necessarily give you the right to use it in a video. There are many different types of Creative Commons, each with different rights associated with it. For instance, many things under Creative Commons doesn't allow commercial use (meaning that you make money off of it), which would technically not allow use in any videos with AdSense on it (or with a sponsored product, etc).

You can use instrumental songs, like you want to put the script - hall of fame in your video. This is copyright, but when you put hall of fame instrumental song in it, it is not copyright.

What the heck are you smoking? :)
No matter what type of music it is, it's bound under copyright. In fact, in the majority of Europe, you don't even need to apply for copyright for any creation - copyright is automatically created and applied to ANY unique object (it's of course more complicated than this, but for a forum post, this will suffice) created by you. It doesn't matter if it's instrumental or not.

You can only use uncopyrighted music by friend.

That's a bit of a misnomer. In the majority of first world countries, all music is automatically copyrighted. And even if something isn't bound under copyright, that still doesn't allow you to use the creation of someone else (so even if someone failed to get copyright in the US copyright court (sorry, I don't know the correct term for this in the US), that still wouldn't give YOU the right to use it).
You are only allowed to use music that you either purchase with a license to use it, have permission from the author, or has been published under another license that gives you that right.