Can I use an instrumental version of song in my video?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm currently editing a video about my Beyonce concert experience. I want to use the instrumental version of her song, "Formation", in the video. Is that considered copyright?

I already have one strike on my channel (from a previous lyric video... bad idea.) and I would like to avoid getting another one.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Keep in mind the recognition system is automated, so it's all about pattern matching. I suppose an instrumental is a match (heck, it even marked a cover of a song I used as background back in my old channel) so I don't really recommend it.
You can create a throwaway Youtube account, upload the video there as unlisted and see what happens. I did it once and it was very useful.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The short answer is, yes. Musicians have two copyrights with songs: one is for the actual recording and then another is for the composition. So, if it "sounds like" Formation, then that's using the compositions' copyright, but if it's an actual recording from Beyonce of the song, then that is additionally using the master recording copyright.

YouTube does allow for certain song covers to be posted on the site, thought. So, the two questions here would be:

1) Did you perform the instrumental version
and
2) does YouTube's Music Policies page have an entry for Formation by Beyonce, saying that covers are eligible for revenue sharing?

If both answers are "Yes", then you should be OK -- what will happen is even if you get a content ID match, you can check a box saying that this is a cover that you've performed yourself not using any part of the actual recording by the artist, and then you should be clear to share revenue with whoever manages Beyonce's copyright. (The revenue sharing mechanism serves as royalty compensation to the artist)

However, if either answer is no -- for example, that instrumental is just a backing track recorded by Beyonce's team -- then you are still violating her copyright. Or, if there is no entry for Formation by Beyonce in the database, or it does not say that covers are eligible for revenue sharing, then that means Beyonce and her team have not approved of that avenue.

NuSpirit

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As they said above me - even if she is not singing, the music is still copyrighted and you will get Contend ID match or Strike.