can I use a song for an intro 12 seconds long?

Ian Katz

Liking YTtalk
I wanted to use lil johns turn down for what bass line. Can I get a copyright strike for sampling 12 seconds of his song?

Yes, you can receive a strike for using 12 seconds of a song.

Granted, you’re more likely to receive a notice and have your video monetized in their behalf (where they collect any and all earnings from ads), but they can still have the right to issue a strike at any time.

There is no safe amount you can use legally. Either you have the rights to use something or you don’t.

I have 50 subs and only 1800 combined views over 31 vids, so im not getting monitized anytime soon. So I guess I shouldnt use it then. I thought there was a time limit you can use for sampling but I dont know, I know nothing about this.

I know this isn't what you were asking, but i'd definitely recommend shortening the intro down. You'll probably get a lot of people dropping off the video, or skipping past the intro, with one that long. The only exception to this would I feel would be if you were going to something very visual and creative (like the Film Theory or Crash Course Intros).

There is a common myth about being able to use only 30 seconds of a song without copyright infringement but this is simply not true.

I don't know if this is the song that you're talking about but here is the current policy. Please note the bottom line where they state that the rights owners can change the policy if they so choose.
04.jpg

Back