Can I monetize U. S congressional Videos

Citadel politics

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
I run a political commentary channel and sometimes I need to upload videos of congress sections.. I want to know if it will affect my eligibility monetization...

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
If you didn't shoot the videos of the Congressional sessions yourself, then it's likely to eventually affect your monetization eligibility; especially if you are taking them from either a US Government YouTube channel, or a television network.

Reactions: Citadel politics

Citadel politics

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
If you didn't shoot the videos of the Congressional sessions yourself, then it's likely to eventually affect your monetization eligibility; especially if you are taking them from either a US Government YouTube channel, or a television network.
Please I will like for you to share some of content I student with low budget can can do..

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
As for copyright status in the first instance, it depends on who is shooting the footage. If a private news station like CNN or CSPAN is filming the Congressional hearings, then those news companies will own the copyrights in the first instance. However, if U.S. Congress itself is filming its own sessions, it is probably public domain.

As of the time of this writing, U.S. Congress does not film its own regular sessions. However, occasionally, execute agencies may publicly broadcast their sessions. For example, early into Trump's administration, the FCC decided to revoke Obama's "net neutrality" executive order. That session was filmed and broadcast over a livestream on fcc.gov, thus making it public domain. Congress, however, does not normally film their own sessions (and in all fairness, they don't really have much need to, as private news companies tend to cover them just fine).

However, all is not lost. Every dark cloud as a silver lining. So here's the silver lining for your situation: If you're doing a political commentary channel, then as long as you provide actual COMMENTARY about the politics, it should be fair use anyway.

The important thing is to not skim on the commentary. Just remember: As far as courts are concerned in fair use cases, there is no such thin as "tranformative overload." There is no such thing as providing too much additional value. So be sure to go overboard with your opinions, criticisms, and discussions in order to maximize your chances of getting fair use protection.

Last edited:

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
If you're looking for background music, you should look for songs that are filed (and uploaded to youtube) under the "creative commons license." That basically means the artists have granted general permission to youtubers and other independent Internet content creators to re-use (both with and without modification) their copyrighted works.

Here are a few channels that focus exclusively on hosting music that is filed under the creative commons license:

I especially like the channel "Audio Library - Free Music" as they have playlists that separate music by mood, making it a synch to find music that perfectly fits the tone of my video!

Reactions: fixedsnuffle

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As for copyright status in the first instance, it depends on who is shooting the footage. If a private news station like CNN or CSPAN is filming the Congressional hearings, then those news companies will own the copyrights in the first instance. However, if U.S. Congress itself is filming its own sessions, it is probably public domain.

As of the time of this writing, U.S. Congress does not film its own regular sessions. However, occasionally, execute agencies may publicly broadcast their sessions. For example, early into Trump's administration, the FCC decided to revoke Obama's "net neutrality" executive order. That session was filmed and broadcast over a livestream on fcc.gov, thus making it public domain. Congress, however, does not normally film their own sessions (and in all fairness, they don't really have much need to, as private news companies tend to cover them just fine).

However, all is not lost. Every dark cloud as a silver lining. So here's the silver lining for your situation: If you're doing a political commentary channel, then as long as you provide actual COMMENTARY about the politics, it should be fair use anyway.

The important thing is to not skim on the commentary. Just remember: As far as courts are concerned in fair use cases, there is no such thin as "tranformative overload." There is no such thing as providing too much additional value. So be sure to go overboard with your opinions, criticisms, and discussions in order to maximize your chances of getting fair use protection.
Well said!

I need to point out, however, that the channel type that @Citadel politics is doing, has little chance of being monetized, as that is his goal. Channels largely based on Public Domain media have been declared as "reused content" under the new AdSense content quality guidelines; and political commentary and review channels are seldom approved upon application to the YouTube Partner Programme. This is due to such channels being mainly based upon media which was not the original and unique creation of the channel's owner.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Well said!

I need to point out, however, that the channel type that @Citadel politics is doing, has little chance of being monetized, as that is his goal. Channels largely based on Public Domain media have been declared as "reused content" under the new AdSense content quality guidelines; and political commentary and review channels are seldom approved upon application to the YouTube Partner Programme. This is due to such channels being mainly based upon media which was not the original and unique creation of the channel's owner.
In that case, maybe he should take a leaf from the Young Turks' book, and have the vast majority of his video content being him simply sitting at a desk and talking, with the occasional text being uploaded against one of his own original backgrounds, only playing enough unoriginal clips to give his audience the necessary context for what he is about to talk about.

Take this video, for example:

This video is 90% original "Young Turks" footage. The only footage they re-use is a potion of the police bodycam footage (not even the whole bodycam footage) absolutely necessary for the audience to understand what they're talking about.

YongYea - the gaming news channel - has a similar setup.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Being one of their subscribers, I am quite familiar with TYT's production format; and you are correct in saying that the OP would have a much better chance of being approved if he were to take this approach.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
The main question is who is gonna watch those idiots in congress talking bs