Can I monetize a compilation of funny home videos(3rd party content)?

masoud.su

Reaction score
Hi Youtubers.

I've decided to give this whole "Making money with your youtube videos" thing a try. but I don't really have any videos myself. so I thought maybe I could use 3rd party content to do so. now I've decided to create a channel for funny compilation videos. so I have to edit together short videos that other people created and make a compilation. I know I should have content owner's permission to be able to monetize 3rd party contents. but what if those contents are Home made videos. should I get in touch with every clip's owner that I use in the compilation? because I've seen a lot of people use the same content to make compilations and monetize it. for example for "Funny cats" videos I've seen dozens of compilations created by different channels and get a lot of views for it.
And if I make a compilation and it gets hit by a 3rd party content match(Youtube Content ID b******t). there are several ways to dispute it. one is "Giving credit to the owner". how do I go about that?

thanks

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
No.
That is basically stealing content and using it for your own advantage.

masoud.su

Reaction score
then how come a lot people do it. do they have permission to use those content. what's the deal with those channels?

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Some of them will have permission or have the content monetised by whoever owns the rights to the content. The best thing you can do is to request proper permission in writing (text online) and signed preferably, if you dont have that I wouldn't touch it.

Reactions: masoud.su

masoud.su

Reaction score
Some of them will have permission or have the content monetised by whoever owns the rights to the content. The best thing you can do is to request proper permission in writing (text online) and signed preferably, if you dont have that I wouldn't touch it.
thanks bro.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The guidline is: If you didn't shoot it you can't monetize it.
If you have written consent giving you rights to use the footage commercially you're in the green.

masoud.su

Reaction score
What if I use the content, but NOT monetize it. I mean, just use it to have some content on my channel to get subscribers for my other videos that I do have permission to monetize. can I do such thing?

Brandon556

Reaction score
I just signed up to this and I can see that ppl arent so helpful already just a bunch of no and yes's. I beleive from what I searched there are websites out there that hold the rights to a bunch of videos that you can use under a contract that you sighn with them. One of them is Junkinvideo and probably more out there with the same structure. I also think that how some of these channels are being built is they use someone else videos till they build a fan base then go get accepted by a youtube partner then they deal with all the licencing that needs to be done. What I mean by youtube partner is not youtube its self but a company that deals with youtube for you and makes it so you can make more money. youtube partner program its self is dead no money in it very little.