Can i get started as a new YouTuber with only a cellphone?

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Your smart phone will do better than alright..it will do better than a DSLR in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it. I'm really not trying to promote my link but if you go to my channel and look at the video that says "budget video" You'll see just how well a smart phone does. Good luck to you.
Great video Keyser. It's impressive what you achieved just by using your phone.

Reactions: Keyser Reveal
Reaction score
We record all of our videos with a cell phone. I've also used lamps or clip on lights for extra light and natural light goes a long ways! If there is plenty of light, your phone should be fine, again make sure there is plenty of light. For sure good enough to get started. Depending on your video style you can use various apps to create videos. Check out the Go Pro Quik app, but there are others out there. I would also recommend, when going to buy a computer, pick up a used one off eBay or Craigslist. I know a graphic designer in town who has a 5 year old Windows PC that he was using for his full time video editing business and now it's hardly worth his time to sell for $200 or so when he paid about $1800. Something like that would be a great starter computer.

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
That sucks :/ But I do understand. If you are sure you wont get your hands on any sort of equipment then yeah, try doing it with just your phone. If you are going for stuff like vligs etc. You only need a camera and an editor. There is really no place you can use a computer tho? Not even a library or similar?

Cristy Ella

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
it is very nice to know that there is someone that uses their phone for their content, thank you :) you give me motivation

i would invest on some audio recorder once i finally have the money to do so :)
thanks. If you look at my videos (you don't have to watch them) you can see that I tend to always have a different lighting set up. I personally feel like the lighting is a bit more important then the actual technology. You can get higher quality photos with a cheap camera and good lighting compared to an expensive camera with bad lighting.

For my lighting I commonly use $10.90 Halogen lights from bunnings facing away from me and bouncing off my white wall. experiment snd see what works for you

SamJones

Reaction score
(won't let me post link, video's called S1E3 - Crafting A Lovecraftian Love Story)
These guys used an iPhone for one of the angles, cameras for the other two. I'd guess the phone is the closeups on Lindsay (longer hair girl) but I'm not certain. What I do know is they didn't use the onboard mic, and using an external mic is pretty darn important, especially with phones!

Fortyone

Reaction score
Yes, you can! There are very successful Youtubers out there that started out with nothing but MSPaint and a cellphone. Content matters most!

Reactions: Kevin Muldoon

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I still use my phone and probably will until I hit 50,000 subscribers. It doesn't matter the quality (I mean to a point) as long as you upgrade eventually when you can, and you just start. Starting's the hardest part

Tyy3Y

Reaction score
Main thing is to never give up bro, if it's a passion you want to carry out that badly then you'll always find a way to work it out even if you hit in to some obstacles on the way!

Definitely start making content now even with just your phone, you're not going to get anywhere by not posting any content, right? Content is content at the end of the day, if your Phone recorded videos only gets you a few subscribers or views until you can buy better equipment then that's subscribers you wouldn't of had in the first place!

Just work hard and keep going

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My friend had the very same problem, We teamed up and i am editing and making thumbnails for her while she gives me the clips, I have time on my hands so I like to help someone else out.