Can a company claim Copyrights for a SIMILAR concept?

Luka

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to make and perhaps monetize an animation in which abstract things would talk and look like humans. For example "Idea" would look like a person and talk with something else like "Computing". So Idea and Computing would talk to each other and look like 2 people, but still be what they are - and idea and computing. Now in the film Inside Out (2015) by Disney / Pixar there are human emotions that look and talk like people! Could Disney / Pixar claim anything or strike on that grounds even if I of course NOT include any of the characters or plot from the film??

Any info would be much appreciated!

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
No.
It is possible to claim something that is very similar but not the same. But it has to be obviously stolen.
Your idea is very good and while it might be inspired by the film it isn´t stolen by it.
I don´t really think that anybody would make the connection from your video to the film.
Also Pixar has to prove you stole their concepts and ideas.

Go for it. Sound like a great idea, and don´t be worried to much about copyright.
As long as you don´t use their audio or visuals you are pretty safe, even if you do similar content.
The world would be a sad one if nobody could publish a fantasy book with magic because "Harry Potter did it first !".
Yeah. You have more freedom than you think :)

Reactions: Luka

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Disney/Pixar doesn't monopolize the animation world or else there would be zero other animations anywhere to be found. There's plenty of channels that can animate and have their own styles which you could easily tie to any famous movie in some way shape or form, but that doesn't mean s**t. So you're fine.

Reactions: Luka

Luka

Reaction score
Hey Thank you both for your replies! I was leaning very much to what you guys are saying... Abstract things talking to each other - can't own that... It's just that I heard that courts and I would assume video platforms a lot of times grant complaints of huge companies over the small guys even if they are not completely justified, and it stuck in my craw...