Cameras

Tisha

Right now I'm using my Canon rebel Ti5 for my vids but I'm thinking about investing into another backup camera. I'm looking for something that's HD and screen is super clear. Plus I would also like to upgrade my vlogging camera (so I can stop using my phone. Lol ) Any recommendations?

Many YouTubers use Canon 70D's for vlogging, those are really good. However I personally use a Nikon D7100. Nikon/Canon is all personal preference and since I'm a professional photographer all of my gear is Nikon so it only makes sense. You can check out the video in my signature for quality (make sure to toggle 1080p!) The only disadvantage here is that I don't have a swivel out screen. Which to me isn't necessary.. but that's the main reason why many YT Vloggers stick with Canon.

Many YouTubers use Canon 70D's for vlogging, those are really good. However I personally use a Nikon D7100. Nikon/Canon is all personal preference and since I'm a professional photographer all of my gear is Nikon so it only makes sense. You can check out the video in my signature for quality (make sure to toggle 1080p!) The only disadvantage here is that I don't have a swivel out screen. Which to me isn't necessary.. but that's the main reason why many YT Vloggers stick with Canon.
How do you feel about the Sony A700? It's extremely expensive but I see that so.e youtubers are switching over to that camera.

How do you feel about the Sony A700? It's extremely expensive but I see that so.e youtubers are switching over to that camera.

I'm confused, the A700 is a low-end model. Do you mean one of Sony's mirorless cameras, such as the Sony A7? If so, those are really good cameras.. I may switch over to one of those myself. But my boyfriend and I use the pro-grade Nikon models already D:. Wants < Needs situation, really. Every camera brand is ultimately personal choice. But those are really beautiful cameras.

I'm confused, the A700 is a low-end model. Do you mean one of Sony's mirorless cameras, such as the Sony A7? If so, those are really good cameras.. I may switch over to one of those myself. But my boyfriend and I use the pro-grade Nikon models already D:. Wants < Needs situation, really. Every camera brand is ultimately personal choice. But those are really beautiful cameras.

Sorry. Yes I mentioned the SonyA7 Lol. I loved that it's high Def but I'm not sure if it's worth the hype or maybe there's another camera out there that's misrepresentation reasonable in price range.

Sorry. Yes I mentioned the SonyA7 Lol. I loved that it's high Def but I'm not sure if it's worth the hype or maybe there's another camera out there that's misrepresentation reasonable in price range.

I highly recommend something in the lines of the newer Nikon D3000 cameras (I heard the Nikon D3400 video quality was excellent.) I have also used a Nikon D5100 for video before too, and the quality was also pretty good but I believe the 3400 is better, but also does not have a swivel out screen. Unfortunately all of my opinions are going to be biased. One thing I always do is find a camera I like, and then YouTube a vlog test of it. For example, "Nikon D3400 vlog test" "Nikon D3400 video test." things like that.

However if you have a bit more of a budget, I'd save for even a Nikon D5500 or a 7200. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can recommend the Sony a6500. It's very good and af is very fast. Only thing missing is the flip up screen.

If you're talking about the a7 then you must have some spending cash, lol. I'm not too familiar with that camera.

Code:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-camera-products/t/interchangeable-lens-cameras

I am currently using the Sony RX100 V which I like because it compact and fits in a pocket. If I were to upgrade to something bigger, the a6500 would be my next choice (mentioned above).

Casey Neistat recently reviewed his new A7s2 and Sarah Dietchy's boyfriend just bought one on the video she uploaded today.

A7s would be the wrong choice.
Af on the a7sII is not as good as on the a7rII and 6500. Especially for vlogs the AF is much better suited on the 6500 and a7rII

I love my Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark II. Compact, has everything I need and a bit more. Main gripes are that at least with a Panasonic lens the AF is quite bad (I mainly use manual so no biggie), max settings are 1080p with 60fps (I use iPhone 6S Plus if I really need slow-mo) and the weather sealing goes to waste unless you get a weather sealed lens, which costs extra. But still a happy camper with that camera.

Back