Buying subs and views is a failed strategy

Graphic Designer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This person recently spammed this forum, so I thought I'd check out how their channel was doing.

Pretty obvious that they were buy subs and views. As soon as new subs stop, views drop back down to 5 or less per day.

The question is, how can the YT algorithm not see this for what it is and terminate the channel? Or does the channel get 3 warnings first?

Reactions: Luciane

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
The question is, how can the YT algorithm not see this for what it is and terminate the channel? Or does the channel get 3 warnings first?
How would YouTube prove that they bought the views instead of you buying it for their channel to get it deleted?
If it were that easy, people would be able to take down channels pretty easily.
Imagine I just bought your channel 20k subs... and YouTube sees these stats and deletes your channel?
That's why YouTube doesn't delete channels for doing this, for the most part. Plus buying views hurts your channel more than it helps unless you're doing it to trick people to sponsor or fund your project off platform. Lastly, YouTube regularly audits channel subscribers and views so most likely they aren't buying enough to even be worth auditing and when their channel gets to a certain size, views and subs will just get deleted, but not the channels themselves (most likely).

Last edited:
Reactions: Graphic Designer

GoetzSaCebu

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Buying Suby alone doesn't make sense yes.
But like me, theres many creators that get the 4000 hours fast but lack the subs to get monetized. If I would be notetized I could earn around 10US$ each month - so in that case it would make sense to buy the necessary subscribers to get monetized faster and start earning earlier.
Just imagine you buy 400 subs and get moetized 2 month later, but regularly it would take you 4-5 month - that way its 20-30US$ to have or have not.

True that sound nothing for a western millenial with rich parents, but in 3rd world countries 10US$ is enough money to not be hungry for 2-3 days.

Reactions: Graphic Designer

SophieZ

Reaction score
Plus buying views hurts your channel more than it helps unless you're doing it to trick people to sponsor or fund your project off platform.
Can you explain this? I have bought small amounts few months back and the recommendations got suppressed since, while most views came from recommendations and browsing before. First month 66% drop in recommendations and it's still dropping. I don't know what to do to get my channel off the black list it's obviously on. Every month my channel counting gets frozen and is freed after some time, but recommendations don't get up.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Can you explain this? I have bought small amounts few months back and the recommendations got suppressed since, while most views came from recommendations and browsing before. First month 66% drop in recommendations and it's still dropping. I don't know what to do to get my channel off the black list it's obviously on. Every month my channel counting gets frozen and is freed after some time, but recommendations don't get up.
It's not that you are in a black list. From my understanding you are not in a black list.
But if you (for example) buy 10,000 views, those views will likely come from users (bot accounts) who are never going to watch your content again unless you paid them again. But because they watched your content, YouTube will show those bot accounts your video in their recommendation first before recommending it to more random people. So now YouTube is maybe showing your content to 10,000 bot accounts all of which won't click on your video an to YouTube that is 10,000 people who just voted with their clicks that they were not interested in your new video anymore. Why would YouTube recommend your content to people when 100% of the people who watched your last video didn't click this new one?
I'm definitely exaggerating a bit for emphasis, but that's basically what is happening.

I shared a video below from well known a educational youtuber who talks about fake facebook likes and why they negatively effect your facebook page.
you can watch the whole thing, but i recommend skipping to watch 4:23 - 4:54 if you don't want to watch the whole thing. (about 10 seconds)
it's the same for subs and views and also remember the new youtube algorithm was modeled after the facebook algorithm

Reactions: SophieZ

SophieZ

Reaction score
It's not that you are in a black list. From my understanding you are not in a black list.
But if you (for example) buy 10,000 views, those views will likely come from users (bot accounts) who are never going to watch your content again unless you paid them again. But because they watched your content, YouTube will show those bot accounts your video in their recommendation first before recommending it to more random people. So now YouTube is maybe showing your content to 10,000 bot accounts all of which won't click on your video an to YouTube that is 10,000 people who just voted with their clicks that they were not interested in your new video anymore. Why would YouTube recommend your content to people when 100% of the people who watched your last video didn't click this new one?
I'm definitely exaggerating a bit for emphasis, but that's basically what is happening.

I shared a video below from well known a educational youtuber who talks about fake facebook likes and why they negatively effect your facebook page.
you can watch the whole thing, but i recommend skipping to watch 4:23 - 4:54 if you don't want to watch the whole thing. (about 10 seconds)
it's the same for subs and views and also remember the new youtube algorithm was modeled after the facebook algorithm
Thank you much for your reaction. I understand what you say. But my click frequency last 28 days is 8,1% for my overall channel (I bought only small amounts), the watching percentage is between 41,0% and 68,5%. Most video's are above 50%. (Lenght video's 3-4.40 min). Watchers loyalty is for a large part above average.
When I look at the video I uploaded 6 days ago, click frequency is 11%, average percentage 65,4%, relative watchers loyalty above average. 2021-03-11.png
11 likes - 1 dislike. Views only 129, but that's caused by the lack of recommendations.
This all looks good to me, but yesterday youtube recommended my video only 21 times!
If I am not on a black list, what causes the huge drop in recommendations then? (btw content is not against rules).

Last edited:

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
sadly that's all the info i have. It could be that your latest videos tags were less relatable to users? Or maybe there were more people making videos on the same topic.

Reactions: SophieZ

SophieZ

Reaction score
sadly that's all the info i have. It could be that your latest videos tags were less relatable to users? Or maybe there were more people making videos on the same topic.
Thank you, no it's obvious to me I am on a black list. :(

SophieZ

Reaction score
I would personally never buy subscribers or views. For one it is against YouTube's policies and what would anyone achieve from it. Those people will not be interested in your content, probably remain inactive subscribers which will then get deleted by youtube and then you loose out. Sadly so many people do this and get caught our have their account terminated and it ends up being massive waste of time and loss. It is the same with sub for sub. Another area that should be totally avoided. Youtube is a marathon not a sprint!
Yes, it was a big mistake. I just bought 1 time 500 views, and a few likes and few comments, to increase traffic and to make more people give likes. Not much. Never subs. I see people come back, watch many of my video's, most video's have a relatively high retention, but people don't click like or give a comment. I thought it looks better with more likes and it's known that people click like easier when more people did that before.

It's nowhere mentioned on youtube that they suppress suspicious channels. My counting is frozen again, like every beginning of the month lately; later they check and the counting is updated, but they keep suppressing my channel. I really really hope they forgive my mistakes now I am behaving well for months, that they see the high click frequency and high retention, and that they get me off that black list. I wish I could contact them, I can't do anything now. Let them please remove the bought views and likes and give my channel free. Because they got me discouraged and disappointed, I don't feel like making video's anymore, while that used to be my biggest hobby.