Buying Google Ads Bad After A Point?

I've been buying a modest amount of ads ($20 a day) since I launched my channel. Today, I had a conversation with a friend who's done well in a completely different YT space and he suggested that buying ads past my first 10 videos or so may be detrimental. Something about the YT algorithm seeing you as an ad buyer and not suggesting vids organically so you keep buying. Is their any merit to this? If so, have I already screwed my channel by being that "buyer person" for so many videos past the 10?

I have never heard of the algorithm doing that. Ask them for some evidence to back up what they are saying.

buying ads can definitely bring in traffic. but it can also be a double edge sword...

for instance, you'll pay for clicks but unless the video you're promoting is also very catchy, it can possible start killing your overall retention rate. and retention rate as of now is a big factor in Youtube's algorithm.

if you're getting more traffic to your channel while using ads and your retention rate is still good, then that's golden. so it's all a balancing act. stay on top of your analytics.

buying ads can definitely bring in traffic. but it can also be a double edge sword...

for instance, you'll pay for clicks but unless the video you're promoting is also very catchy, it can possible start killing your overall retention rate. and retention rate as of now is a big factor in Youtube's algorithm.

if you're getting more traffic to your channel while using ads and your retention rate is still good, then that's golden. so it's all a balancing act. stay on top of your analytics.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. The retention seems to vary pretty widely video to video. I've got some digging to do and some decisions to make.

$20 a day sounds like quite a bit, that'll soon mount up! I only run them on my channel trailer at pretty much a minimal spend level, retention isn't great but not awful and I do gain a few subscribers. Since my trailer is an ad for my channel anway I figure that's kind of more what ads are for rather than just promoting whole videos?

I only buy ads if my video has something I can do an affiliate link to Amazon.
I make more in my Amazon links than I spend on my ads. BUT about $4-5 a day with a .01c-.05c click rate
Works for my channel.

Obviously if the ads have a bad retention time it will effect how well that video does organically. Therefore, I understand for ads it is best to make a desperate ‘trailer’ style video to direct viewers to the channel/other videos.

Although, this will impact average ‘channel’ watch time, does that matter? Or does the YouTube algo only really look at a video by video basis? Rather than the channel as a whole?

Back