buddy has 3k subs I have under 1k and I get more views per a video. why is that?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
so this is something that worries me over time. as of now, my channel has really been kicking off. not in subs (i dont count that, I count views per video. It means nothing to me if I have 2000 subs and only getting 70 views on a video)

i started collabing with a few folks and my videos now usually get 400 - 600 views within a week or 2. sometimes they get 200 and thats considered a bad video.

my buddy has 3k subs but gets 70 - 150 views. why is this happening to his channel. now he has been getting legit subs and followers from me since we have been collabing, but if we both do well, the better our channels will do. he is using similar tags as me and I believe he is pretty consistent except I am on a tight schedule. I ALWAYS upload Wed and Sun. I htink he is a bit more sporadic. Could it be he took some time off at the start or something?

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah subs really stay as interested as you keep them. If you take a break they can go inactive, if you change your content style they can get bored, they difference in views may be related to consistency and how well your overall content is doing more than subs. If you have previous videos doing well they could be driving people to your channel who watch your new stuff. You could try comparing traffic sources data to see if that shows a difference. I mean tags are one thing, how do your titles compare? You may be getting ranked on keywords from those, again I would look at the videos that have done well and see with traffic data if they are coming from your own viewers or if they are pulling in new people and how they are doing it. Usually it will also list the search terms. I mean if you're targeting topics that are in more demand you will get more views regardless of current sub numbers.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah subs really stay as interested as you keep them. If you take a break they can go inactive, if you change your content style they can get bored, they difference in views may be related to consistency and how well your overall content is doing more than subs. If you have previous videos doing well they could be driving people to your channel who watch your new stuff. You could try comparing traffic sources data to see if that shows a difference. I mean tags are one thing, how do your titles compare? You may be getting ranked on keywords from those, again I would look at the videos that have done well and see with traffic data if they are coming from your own viewers or if they are pulling in new people and how they are doing it. Usually it will also list the search terms. I mean if you're targeting topics that are in more demand you will get more views regardless of current sub numbers.

very true thank you! i will check this out with him see certain key differences

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
My first thought is: Has he done sub4sub in the past? Because it seems that he grew his subscriber count without growing his actual viewer base, thus having low views and watch time.

Secondly, don't fret about it too much. You're probably profiting more of having a partner in your video that you have good chemistry with, than that you are getting subs off him. Just focus on your own growth :)

Reactions: wchap001

tiktokchanz

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
Seems like your friend is using Sub4Sub to gain subscribers and now looking for a way to gain more views and watch time to monetize his channel. If you starting to feel like you are not getting advantage from him, don't force yourself to continue collab with your friend

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Seems like your friend is using Sub4Sub to gain subscribers and now looking for a way to gain more views and watch time to monetize his channel. If you starting to feel like you are not getting advantage from him, don't force yourself to continue collab with your friend

it is a possibility he did sub4sub in the past im not sure. I didnt ask but he is my irl buddy and I ride with him a lot so I cant sell out on him. but my channel is doing well for now, but just trying to get him to blow up as well since you know... if he does good, ill get more viewers as well.

but hey its all good lol. at the end we just have fun with it

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
My first thought is: Has he done sub4sub in the past? Because it seems that he grew his subscriber count without growing his actual viewer base, thus having low views and watch time.

Secondly, don't fret about it too much. You're probably profiting more of having a partner in your video that you have good chemistry with, than that you are getting subs off him. Just focus on your own growth :)

its a possibility. I am thinking of that. or could be I looked at his very first videos years ago and he had 100k - 50k views on some videos but then stopped making videos during that time frame and now started with me again. so it could be its starting all over? I know channels who sub4sub never do well in the long run and YT kills the channel. at the end though he is my IRL buddy and I ride with him a lot so just want his channel to do well.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
look at his highest viewed video's maybe if some of his highest viewed video's might be on a slightly different topic or have a different appeal than his normal video's could be a possible cause for having a less engaged audience.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
It could be all the things you mentioned, and maybe more. There’s no clear answer to your question, but the most logical could be that since his channel is older, people subbed to him then. Also, did The type of his content change?