"Browse features" as a traffic source?

DiscoGnome

Reaction score
I've got an older video (Sept. 2016) that has gained new traction the past couple of days, the source for most of the new traffic is "browse features" (70%)

It's gotten roughly 20k views since Friday..... With a large number of youtube red views according to the analytics. (much more than anything else I have.) Looking at the analytics, there's been slow growth since May 19th, and then it took off. it's now my most popular video.

I'm wondering where my video is showing up to get this boost in views. My other most popular videos have also shown an uptick in the same time frame, but judging by the comment activity and views, this one seems to be the key to it all.

I put an end card on it to try and redirect some traffic into some of my other vids, and I'm going to kick up video production in case I can keep this rolling. (I usually upload every 5 days or so, slow, but steady.) any other thoughts on how to make hay while the sun shines are appreciated.

Why this video? It was older, somewhat popular but not the MOST popular. If someone had asked me to pick a video to showcase, it wouldnt have been this one.

thanks for your thoughts!

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I Believe the browse feature refers to either your video popping up in recommend section on the home page, or next to an already playing video. It's separate from the search, it show's that YouTube really likes your video and is promoting it often.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I Believe the browse feature refers to either your video popping up in recommend section on the home page, or next to an already playing video. It's separate from the search, it show's that YouTube really likes your video and is promoting it often.
Just to add on that ..Traffic from the homepage/home screen, the subscription feed, and other browsing features. Includes both signed-in and signed-out users.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Just to add on that ..Traffic from the homepage/home screen, the subscription feed, and other browsing features. Includes both signed-in and signed-out users.
Yep, this. If you check your analytics from desktop, you can actually click on browse features from traffic sources to see which one it is...

Chances are if you're getting a traffic spike that's way after the original publishing date of the video, then you got picked up on the home page.

Please note browse features doesn't include "next to an already playing video". That would be suggested videos in the traffic sources. But getting suggested video traffic is also really good!

DiscoGnome

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the replies

I went deeper into analytics like subversiveasset suggested and it was definitely home traffic, I never thought I'd get picked up on the home page but 99.9% of the new traffic was from there.

I still wouldnt have picked this particular video if someone had me choose, but I guess it appealed to the algorithm in some mysterious fashion?

it seems to be tapering off now but it was really nice to get the extra exposure...how often does this happen for people? I understand we're all in different genres but I was curious if this is a regularity for some

Jawequo

Reaction score
Happened once to one of my videos. Around 100k Views in a short time.. it was awesome :bounce: