Brothers And Sons

Just for posterity, here's how ContentID usually works. Content Owners upload sample content into the system in order for it to automatch and flag videos that used this content. However, have you ever wondered what would happen if you were able to register one of your video game vids with ContentID? All you did was try to protect your content from others who were stealing and uploading it, however the other effect it has is that now you're a registered content owner for maybe a cutscene, or a song in the game. This is precisely why YouTube doesn't let all that many groups into ContentID.

As lovely as it is to call for lawsuits and toss the term fraud around, it is far easier to explain these incorrect claims by human stupidity and ignorance in not understanding how the system works.

It is the same reason that I had a false copyright claim on a Heroes of the Storm video. HotS is still in Alpha and uses soundtrack material from World of Warcraft. Turned out, some music remixer had used a portion of the Karazhan them in one of his songs which was claimed under ContentID by one of the YouTube content owners, likely on his behalf. It's not malicious or intentional. It's just a bulk claim and somebody in the system had a video entered into ContentID that shouldn't have been.

File your counter claims and calm your tits. It'll be fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1407790574,1407790458][/DOUBLEPOST]

This is not true. The moment you file a counter claim, any earnings are frozen.

Thanks for the info Tarmack. I knew vaguely how Content ID worked but it's nice to put it into perspective.

As lovely as it is to call for lawsuits and toss the term fraud around, it is far easier to explain these incorrect claims by human stupidity and ignorance in not understanding how the system works.

It is the same reason that I had a false copyright claim on a Heroes of the Storm video. HotS is still in Alpha and uses soundtrack material from World of Warcraft. Turned out, some music remixer had used a portion of the Karazhan them in one of his songs which was claimed under ContentID by one of the YouTube content owners, likely on his behalf. It's not malicious or intentional. It's just a bulk claim and somebody in the system had a video entered into ContentID that shouldn't have been.

File your counter claims and calm your tits. It'll be fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1407790574,1407790458][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thanks for the reply.
However, it turns out that this 'Brothers And Sons' entity was indeed a fraudulent organisation falsely (and fraudulently) claiming content that belonged to others; in this case Activision, who contacted me personally to advise that my claims had been released and that they were aware of the issue that has now been addressed.

So as much as you would like to appear omnipotent and 'tit calming', this issue was indeed fraudulent, and had been on Activision's radar for some time.

I, for one, will not cease challenging to simply accept something that feels wrong. YMMV..

Sambo.[DOUBLEPOST=1407803093][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1407790574,1407790458][/DOUBLEPOST]

Please do share your official source of this information directly from Google: ?

Nope ads still appear even when you file a dispute. I had one of the claims on my video removed for them just not getting back to me in the 30 days time limit but while it was "processing" someone was getting earning of the ads and it wasn't me.

Thanks for the reply.
However, it turns out that this 'Brothers And Sons' entity was indeed a fraudulent organisation falsely (and fraudulently) claiming content that belonged to others; in this case Activision, who contacted me personally to advise that my claims had been released and that they were aware of the issue that has now been addressed.

So as much as you would like to appear omnipotent and 'tit calming', this issue was indeed fraudulent, and had been on Activision's radar for some time.

I, for one, will not cease challenging to simply accept something that feels wrong. YMMV..

Sambo.

Activision certainly could be involved in the process along the way to ensure that no other groups are claiming content by mistake. They, being the legitimate owners would in fact have a vested interest in doing so. However, absolutely none of that proves fraud in any sense of the word and Activision wouldn't be stupid enough to use that word when talking to you about this particular issue because of the potential legal implications of an overt accusation of fraud. The fact of the matter is that you have no evidence of it being anything other than a mistaken claim which quite frankly happens a LOT on YouTube. As to the omnipotent comment, I've simply been around here a long time. Fly by night forums users with grandiose claims of criminal mastermind ContentID accounts don't impress me much.

All of that said, I didn't ever claim that people should avoid challenging these claims when you know them to be false. That's fine. Accusing a group of fraud however, without proof is called slander.[DOUBLEPOST=1407822084,1407821570][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nope ads still appear even when you file a dispute. I had one of the claims on my video removed for them just not getting back to me in the 30 days time limit but while it was "processing" someone was getting earning of the ads and it wasn't me.

You are incorrect. A dispute disables monetization on the video. Now, whether that is an immediate instantaneous change or subject to a small processing period, I don't know. I suppose it is plausible that the ad side of the system may not have caught up immediately after having submitted a dispute.

Activision certainly could be involved in the process along the way to ensure that no other groups are claiming content by mistake. They, being the legitimate owners would in fact have a vested interest in doing so. However, absolutely none of that proves fraud in any sense of the word and Activision wouldn't be stupid enough to use that word when talking to you about this particular issue because of the potential legal implications of an overt accusation of fraud. The fact of the matter is that you have no evidence of it being anything other than a mistaken claim which quite frankly happens a LOT on YouTube. As to the omnipotent comment, I've simply been around here a long time. Fly by night forums users with grandiose claims of criminal mastermind ContentID accounts don't impress me much.

All of that said, I didn't ever claim that people should avoid challenging these claims when you know them to be false. That's fine. Accusing a group of fraud however, without proof is called slander.[DOUBLEPOST=1407822084,1407821570][/DOUBLEPOST]

You are incorrect. A dispute disables monetization on the video. Now, whether that is an immediate instantaneous change or subject to a small processing period, I don't know. I suppose it is plausible that the ad side of the system may not have caught up immediately after having submitted a dispute.
You're quite simply a jerk.
The community here has been warm and welcoming; except for you.
There's always one smartass basement dweller who needs to feel like he knows everything.

You're a blight on this otherwise great community here, and I am blocking you with gusto.

Just go away, you insignificant troll.

It's funny because the first post Sambo replied to was to the point and informative on the inner workings of ContentID, save for a tongue in cheek "calm yer tits" reference at the end, to which he replies with directed insults. And I'm the troll. :p

Block away dear Sambo, block away. I may be a jerk, but I'm a correct jerk.

Back