BroadbandTV: really, really, really lame CPMs? [BBTV and subsidiaries]

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
EDIT, July 2013: There are some interesting posts on pages 4 and 5 by (claimed) ex-employees of BBTV and BBTV-subsidiaries, including allegations of skimming profits, terrible support and recruiting practices, and more. I encourage anyone to do their own research before joining ANY network.

BroadBandTV (BBTV) has these networks under it:

((BBTV/Viso))
---[Everything] Acifin
---[Gaming] TGN
---[Gaming]Accuza
---[Everything] Phazer
---[Music] MonstercatMedia
---[Gaming] TNG Network
---[Gaming] NecessaryGaming
---[Gaming] Vapor
(via here: http://yttalk.com/threads/list-of-networks-and-their-requirements.48515/ )

Lately I've talked with partners who are part of TGN (several) TNG (several), Phazer, and Acifin.

Everyone of them reported really, really bad CPM. like <$2. Often less then $1. Every. Single. One.

Channels that are getting 100k-500k views per month should not be getting $.7 CPM. (two of these guys reported exactly that). No channel should be getting that. How the hell does a network screw up that badly?

Shane MattZ Gabriel KGATV --- Anyone have any speculation/thoughts?

If anyone is a partner with any BBTV subsidiaries, please consider sharing your experiences and most of all CPM.

NOTE:
Why does CPM matter? Because without good CPM it doesn't matter WHAT your revenue share is - you will be earning only a fraction compared to an identical channel with another network... even if they have a lower revenue share.

How can CPM be so dramatically different between networks? Are they skimming revenue off of the top?

I tell people this all the time. I've known many people in BBTV and they tell me all about this stuff. Its shocking.[DOUBLEPOST=1370637130,1370637079][/DOUBLEPOST]
How can CPM be so dramatically different between networks? Are they skimming revenue off of the top?

There is a possible number of factors to it. Most likely they have a bad ad-sales team.

That is the million dollar question...

I tell people this all the time. I've known many people in BBTV and they tell me all about this stuff. Its shocking.[DOUBLEPOST=1370637130,1370637079][/DOUBLEPOST]

There is a possible number of factors to it. Most likely they have a bad ad-sales team.
I feel like it has to be worse than a 'bad ad sales team' as with adsense many channels get $3-5 bucks no problem. Like "NO" ad sales team, maybe?

That is the million dollar question...

I feel like it has to be worse than a 'bad ad sales team' as with adsense many channels get $3-5 bucks no problem. Like "NO" ad sales team, maybe?

That's what I was thinking....

But I thought that networks could allow Adsense ads to run.
I can't imagine a channel getting 500K views a month getting low CPM's through Adsense.

Yea they`re horrible and they know it :p
I heard they only sell 10-20% of ads themselves (leave the rest to adsense) [most networks sell 60-80%]

The problem may be if their Ad-sales team are selling reserved ad buys at a cheaper rate than what the normal adsense auctions go for. So instead of a $7 CPM advert being shown, a say $4 CPM one is shown which has been pre-brought via BBTV.

The problem may be if their Ad-sales team are selling reserved ad buys at a cheaper rate than what the normal adsense auctions go for. So instead of a $7 CPM advert being shown, a say $4 CPM one is shown which has been pre-brought via BBTV.

I have no idea what the business arrangement is
for presenting ads. If somebody is knowledgeable
in this regard, let me know if this is plausible/possible.

The advertiser pays a fee to the network in order to run the ads.
The advertiser pays a certain CPM for the viewed ads.
The network keeps the agreed percentage of the CPM from the content creator.

Like a TGN Partner (Soon to be Unpartenered).... I don't think they are the worst network... but not a good network...... I think Machinima and SocialBlade are between the worst of the worst.... they don't reply your messages, long-term contracts and low CPM.... TGN has one of the lowest CPM, but at least there's no contract, so you can leave when you want (that's why I went with them). GOOD is that they always reply my messages 24-48 hours, I never had any problems with hold-payments, because I always follow their steps... I'm surprise when I hear that some people just get a partnership and doesn't even remember their TGN ID, their e-mail or paypal account (3 very important things) when register..... and complain about no payments....

Another problem with TGN is their business ethics... they never said there's a 40% split with BROADBANDTV..... and unfortunately when I saw that my monetized views when up and my CPM went down (even when my analytics show that my views from US went up)... I think it was time to move on.....

Back