Bokeh or not Bokeh?

ViewWatson

Reaction score
Hi All,
First post so apologies if in wrong section. Great to see a forum all about YouTube, surprised I didn't sign up before.

Anyway, I wanted to ask whether you think Bokeh is good or not for reaction/gaming type channels? For ages I've been wanting to achieve the Bokeh effect and found an old lens that does so yet I'm not sure if it looks 'over-cinematic' and perhaps distracting? I like the Bokeh from a lighting point of view that, because my room is dark, the background isn't all grainy etc.

Anyway, be great to get your opinion.

Thanks all,
Watson

Last edited by a moderator:

The Unwanted Letter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see no problem with bokeh, it does raise the production value of your content, and seeing that people will mostly be focus on the gaming and or video you're reacting to go for it, but make the bokeh subdtle, too much shallow depth of field for a reaction/gaming vid is distracting so don't over do it

ViewWatson

Reaction score
I see no problem with bokeh, it does raise the production value of your content, and seeing that people will mostly be focus on the gaming and or video you're reacting to go for it, but make the bokeh subdtle, too much shallow depth of field for a reaction/gaming vid is distracting so don't over do it
Thanks for the reply!
Does this work?

Attachments

joannavlogs

Love always wins
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
In my opinion bokeh makes a video looks more professional. If you took that still without the bokeh it would look quite amateur. Bokeh is used to centre your attention on the thing in focus, which works well for YouTube etc. So definitely try and get a good bokeh going. Just experiment with settings. You don't want overly done or it looks like you don't know what you're doing maybe

GadgetJohn

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Bokeh if you can, it brings the viewer closer to the action or to what you are saying & doing.

John

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do like the style also. Ive not seen it in a gaming video so would be your USP.