Blue Snowball - Is it supposed to sound like this?

Jtpetch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I just got the Blue Snowball mic (normal, not ICE) yesterday for recording with, and it's not sounding like I expected it to (out of the box anyway.)

Without any editing or changing of settings, it sounds like this:
soundcloud.com/jtpetch/blue-snowball-test

It was recorded in Audacity, and I have the mic about a foot away from my face, with a pop filter about 2-3 inches from the mic itself. I've tried a different cable out of curiosity, and no changes.

Is that what the Snowball is supposed to sound like? And how could I make it sound better? (Setting 1 sounds echo-y/distant to me, and setting 2 is too quiet)

Thanks for the help!

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I can't hear the echo you speak of, but it seems find to me. Honestly, there might be a bit of echo in every video/recording you make. Though, that's kinda hard to avoid unless you want to sound-proof your room. As for the second setting. I don't know why you would use it, cardioid is the only generally good setting.

It sounds pretty good to me.

Cly_Faker

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Not hearing any issues on my end, it actually sounds nice and clean. Any echo you're picking up would be a result of the room you're recording in, and that would be picked up on just about any mic. That can be countered by hanging fabric or foam around the room in certain places, or making/buying an isolation box for your mic.

Edit: Since Super Pawsitive and I had nearly identical posts, let me add this isolation box tutorial:

instructables.com/id/Make-A-Microphone-Isolation-Box-For-High-Quality-A/

The one they made is huge, but I've seen them scaled down as well. I'm going to be making myself one in the near future.

Jtpetch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ah, ok, thanks. I'm sure it doesn't actually sound "bad" at all, but I've just never heard myself from that type of mic. Just some getting used to I suppose, and I'm sure it'll sound great over gameplay.
Thanks Pawsitive and Cly_Faker!
And yeah, I'll have to look into making an isolation box like that.

Reactions: Cly_Faker

Cly_Faker

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
There's nothing like a mic upgrade to get you questioning quality. After I upgraded to an Audio Technica mic (thrifted, of course), I constantly found myself questioning how things sounded. Turns out I was imagining things.

Batzii

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you want to up your voice quality, look into audacity, and invest in a pop filter for enhanced quality with b, p, s and other sounds.

FUDGIES

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It souns really good in my opinion! I really like your voice. I'm sure it'll sound awsome over gameplay.

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If there is an echo, some people do voice over recording in their closet to eliminate it.