Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upload separately in a playlist

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (talk about it in the comments)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

ClearancePuppy

Reaction score
Sup guys, I'm a rapper. I feel like I made some pretty original content that a lot of people would like, but I don't know how to make it blow up (if it's possible). I already finished the ep and want to upload it to youtube but don't know what I can do to get it more recognition. Should I post the songs all as one video? Or upload them all as a bunch of videos in a playlist? If I post it in one video then it'd get more views probably, but most people don't like to watch from that format. If I put them in a playlist individually I'd probably get very few views on each video, at least in the beginning. (I'm trying to release it this weekend.)

What do you guys think I should do? I've been thinking about this for a while and am still not sure.
Thanks in advance for your help

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^

I think it depends on a lot of factors (such as song length), but I'd lean more towards posting them as individual videos linked together in a playlist. YouTube is currently all about watchtime, so having the videos define the exact song that someone wants to listen to might keep them listening more. Plus, individual videos give more opportunities for more relevant search engine tags and SEO video ranking.

AuthenticFINN

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As a singer/songwriter myself, what I would do, is do both.

Upload your EP as separate videos and compile them into a playlist and then also upload a "master video", which is just one video with all your songs in it. This gives people options and stuff.

Idk, I don't have any videos on YouTube, so I may be talking out of my a**.

Reactions: markkaz

ClearancePuppy

Reaction score
Thank you both for the help

I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^

I think it depends on a lot of factors (such as song length), but I'd lean more towards posting them as individual videos linked together in a playlist. YouTube is currently all about watchtime, so having the videos define the exact song that someone wants to listen to might keep them listening more. Plus, individual videos give more opportunities for more relevant search engine tags and SEO video ranking.
Katy I noticed you upload music to youtube yourself. Do you agree with Finn’s idea to post one big video then release the others individually? Thanks

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You don't have limits as to how many videos you can upload so the suggestion above is mine as well. Upload individual songs plus have one complete album video. More songs uploaded means more opportunities for you to be found. You can link to the full album in a card or in each end screen.

ClearancePuppy

Reaction score
You don't have limits as to how many videos you can upload so the suggestion above is mine as well. Upload individual songs plus have one complete album video. More songs uploaded means more opportunities for you to be found. You can link to the full album in a card or in each end screen.
Thanks for the quick response! To get the most publicity at first do you think I should upload one major video then in the next few days upload the rest? Cause I feel like it’d look bad to have 6 videos with no views. Or should I just upload everything?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally, I prefer to spread out my content. If you upload it all in one day, some subscribers might not like it and unsub. Not only that, people don't come to YouTube every day so they might miss you entirely. If you spread them out, you don't p**s of subscribers plus you get more chances of being seen.

Tip: If you pre-load your videos and have them unlisted, you can still link to them in the End-Slate or Cards. That way, fans can still find them until you publish them.

Reactions: ClearancePuppy

ClearancePuppy

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer to spread out my content. If you upload it all in one day, some subscribers might not like it and unsub. Not only that, people don't come to YouTube every day so they might miss you entirely. If you spread them out, you don't p**s of subscribers plus you get more chances of being seen.

Tip: If you pre-load your videos and have them unlisted, you can still link to them in the End-Slate or Cards. That way, fans can still find them until you publish them.
Thanks so much for the help man. Btw one last question that's kinda of unrelated, there's cursing (f word) in a few of the songs. Do you think the cursing could hurt my chances of getting into colleges? Trying to be careful, but think the songs are better with it. Thanks (sorry for asking so much).

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry, I wouldn't know in regards to the language and how it can hurt your potential jobs.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thank you both for the help

Katy I noticed you upload music to youtube yourself. Do you agree with Finn’s idea to post one big video then release the others individually? Thanks
Yeah, I think that idea sounds good, too. However, something to note: I believe Google looks for duplicate content and tries to put other copies of things lower in search results. I'm not sure how much of this they do with audio/video. I'd make sure to make the video titles and descriptions different for each upload / master upload. ^^