Best way to embed video in external site?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I am wondering what is the best way to embed a video in my external wordpress site so that the views will be created to my channel?

If I just use the URL of the video in the external site, the Wordpress plugin will automatically generate a player code that looks like this:

But, if go to the video on youtube and click on SHARE and choose EMBED, it gives a code that looks like this:

Now, the only real difference between these code is the phrase "gesture="media" in the wordpress generated code and the phrase "encrypted-media" in the youtube embed code.

Now from a visual standpoint, both players appear identical on the external website. Both have the YouTube logo and all the youtube fictions. My main concern is that, when people view the video in an external site through the YouTube player, I am not seeing those views in my analytics. I am just wondering if using the Youtube generated embed code would help this.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Are you saying that using the one code does not show in your analytics as a view, or you are concerned that it wont show?
I would not think that little difference would cause it not to show - double check your testing. The easiest way is to watch your live stats then view the video on the external site in a different browser/incognito view.
...although i guess maybe if it’s not ‘encrypted’ Youtube may not want to count it..

All that said, just for simplicity, I always use the embed code provided by Youtube when embedding on my website.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
I don't get views showing in analytics when people watch my videos on my website or on twitter, at least not realtime views. I don't know if YT then adds the views at a later time.

EDIT: My website and Twitter don't have an option to embed, only share video from YT. According to YT, embedding is what you need to do in order for views to count.

Last edited:

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You’re using Wordpress right?
You should be able to switch your editor from “pretty” mode to “text” mode and paste the YouTube embed code right in.. I do it every day.. Well, every time I post a new video..

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't think I am getting view counts from videos watches on my website. I will have to go back and do a lot esiting to change the code on alreasy existing videos, but it would be worth it if I start getting view counts.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use the official YouTube WordPress plugin to embed videos on my WordPress sites. I’ve not had any trouble with that counting views, and it’s super easy to setup and use, with lots of customizable options for the player itself and the player controls.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer