Best video length?

Which is the best video length?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iGuys

What time length do you think is best for videos? Personally I think it would be about 3-4 minutes, and if it's under that it's okay too. I always find myself not clicking on videos that are longer even if they seem like they have good content. It makes me feel as if the YouTuber just rambles on and doesn't actually give me what I came for.

For maximum views, it's gotta be something short. The longer the video, the more intimidating it is to them. Those Epic Rap Battle vids wouldn't have tens of millions of views if they weren't easily replayable. But as for what's best for content... it's all subjective/case-by-case. In the same way that most people don't have trouble watching a 2 hour movie or a 2 hour sports match, if you make something really cool and it's 2 hours long, some people might be wary of it, but so long as it's good content, then hey, people will probably still watch, if maybe not as much. It's important to remember that people do also like to binge watch things when they do stumble upon something that they like.

Video length depends on what topic and information you are trying to get out there. Time doesn't matter as long as you can get your ideas across. If you need to make a 10-minute video to cover everything, do it. But if you can't be entertaining and hold your audience's attention the entire time, then you should stick to shorter videos.

Depends on the content. Music-related videos are usually shorter than 5-7 minutes. Tutorial/Informational and Entertainment/Comedy videos can span from 3-15 minutes. Gameplay videos are, I believe, the longest, and can span from 10 minutes to 1 hour. That said, I think it's wisest to keep your videos as short as possible and, if you have the time or patience, edit out redundant/boring/unnecessary parts.

(*sigh* I need to start using a timer again when I record gameplay videos. xD)

When I first started online video, the golden rule was always no less than 3 mins because otherwise people get bored and watch something else, or don't watch it in the first place.
I ran an animation series in 2011 where videos were 30 seconds long, and I got a lot of views.

However, now there's a lot more longer content (10+ mins) on YT because people are chasing Watch Time and the revenue that comes with it.
Returning to the same series, I'm noticing shorter videos really aren't getting the same exposure they used to - so longer vids probably get more promotion, because more revenue.

I've made some longer vids that go up to 5 mins, but looking at the retention, it looks like between 1:30mins - 2mins is the golden cutoff, and people begin clicking away after this time. I'd be interested to see what the Retention is for those with much longer videos and if the general cutoff is just as low. While the Watch Time may be higher, the Retention is lower. I'd be much more inclined to put quality over quantity, and watch your Retention over your Watch Time.

So from my experience, I'd go for 2 min vids.
If your vids have the subject matter that would allow for longer (gaming vids), then go for it. But anything else that is over 5 mins, I can usually see a way it could have been cut down in the edit.

Completely niche and audience dependent.

My videos are routinely over 20 minutes and my retention rate is high and I get regular comments that people appreciate that I explain so much. They often say they feel like they're watching a television show. But my content is geared toward adults who enjoy cooking. A teenager probably has zero interest in my content, but the adults that are interested stick around for most, if not all, of the video, regardless of length.

Now that YouTube is firmly present on the "big screen" living room TV via Roku, AppleTV and cable boxes, watch times are increasing quickly. Gone are the "old days" of just a few years ago when people only watched on small screens and stuck around for a couple of minutes.

If you are entertaining enough or present useful information about a topic they are interested in, people will continue to watch.

Last edited:
As long as YOU want them to be. Just don't make the mistake to force your content to pass the 10 minute mark. That is the place where people can add multiple ads in a single video, so it makes sense to run a 10 minute long video. But if you have to insert filler to get there, well... That will hurt you in the long run.

Personally I try to stay below 10 minutes. It makes my videos more to the point and I like that. Awkward silences are not cool.

Back