Best Video Format

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I started converting to webm because that is now the native codec they use on youtube. Upload speeds have well gotten incredibly fast and quality is better too if i convert to webm before uploading instead of letting youtube convert for me. I use the converter from avs4you it has good quality codecs not hacked ones that suck. Some of the free converters are very bad unfortunately.

ViciousXUSMC

Master Viking
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
So far everybody only mentioned containers not formats except vizibilityzero who mentioned the best one to use.

H264 is the best codec to use for video, and YouTube also states this in some of its documentation somewhere.

for audio AAC is the best codec to use, its highly compressed and sounds great. Its pretty much in lamens terms 2x better than M3P so 2x the quality in the same file size or 1/2 the size with the same quality.

The best container to use is subjective, most people should stick with .MP4 but if you want to be special like me use .MKV as it is technically superior and also I read people have the occasional audio sync issue with .MP4 and I never have experienced that using .MKV

Take a look at some of my game capture videos (not the ones that were live streams) you will notice my 480P looks better than most peoples 720P and my 720P looks better than others 1080P and my 1080P is just like the original game and this is AFTER YouTube butchers the heck out of it with a trans-code :D

I have a very precise encoding technique and process I use that takes much longer than normal but final results are worth it to me. My final videos are H264 (encoded with x264) and AAC (encoded with NeroAAC) in a MKV container.

Reactions: vizibilityzero

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used Mpeg2 simply because it's the one I have the least amount of issues when using Adobe Premiere CS4
--- merged: Apr 19, 2012 10:45 PM ---
So far everybody only mentioned containers not formats except vizibilityzero who mentioned the best one to use.

H264 is the best codec to use for video, and YouTube also states this in some of its documentation somewhere.

for audio AAC is the best codec to use, its highly compressed and sounds great. Its pretty much in lamens terms 2x better than M3P so 2x the quality in the same file size or 1/2 the size with the same quality.

The best container to use is subjective, most people should stick with .MP4 but if you want to be special like me use .MKV as it is technically superior and also I read people have the occasional audio sync issue with .MP4 and I never have experienced that using .MKV

Take a look at some of my game capture videos (not the ones that were live streams) you will notice my 480P looks better than most peoples 720P and my 720P looks better than others 1080P and my 1080P is just like the original game and this is AFTER YouTube butchers the heck out of it with a trans-code :D

I have a very precise encoding technique and process I use that takes much longer than normal but final results are worth it to me. My final videos are H264 (encoded with x264) and AAC (encoded with NeroAAC) in a MKV container.
I'll have to reread this one day... alot of it was mandarin to me. lol

Ray The Video Guy

Learn YouTube!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What I typically do is export my videos as .MP3 files using H.264 at 3000KBPS, and at either 720P or 1080P. This allows me to keep good quality, get the video uploaded faster and archive it without taking up too much space.

GuerrillaDayProject

Guerrilla Day Players
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Our standard workflow:
Import Footage as .M2T files from harddrive
Convert .M2T into Apple ProRes 422 using compressor (this may require an intermediary format (.mov) using a program like Clone2Go (freeware) for .M2T expansion but all files are converted to ProRes before logging)
Footage is logged into FCP 7
Inside the program labels are changed from harddrive ordering to Shooting Log (AVI1100.MOV = Shot 1A Take 3)
Edit until your sick of loving it
Export the movie using the projects settings to the most raw format possible
Convert the final print to H.264 with compressor. (The destination for YTSharing offers a superior resolution to the LAN H.264 destination. If you want to broadcast higher than 480p you must use the former.)
Hope this helps.