Best video format? avi, mp4, wmv, etc??

Kaitlin

Hello my fellow YTtalk buds :wavespin:

So, I've noticed, my videos always take forever to save and to upload to youtube. The longest it has taken is 6 hours total (saving and uploading). Asked a friend why his videos uploaded within 10 mins, turned out he saved as .avi, I save as .mp4. Today I tried using avi instead; it saved from my editor TrakAxPC within 10 minutes, but the file size was so big. 9.50 GB, which would take forever to upload to YouTube.

I tried wmv, it left the video a bit choppy and bad quality.

So I ended up using mp4 again ...

What do you guys use, and why? Any suggestions for me?

.avi is one of the richer and higher quality formats. It keeps most all quality you've capture but as a result the file size is Huge.

If you're looking to compress a video for upload, I'd recommend using h.264 (which creates an .mp4 file), though you should WAIT until the VERY END to compress it. Until then work with the highest quality footage you can. :)

Hope this helps! Feel free to judge for yourself with my videos. (~4 mins = 180 mb)

I honestly wonder this too, but this may be of help for smaller video size.
If I'm correct, YouTube will automatically make the video run at 30 fps, so that's all you'll need to render at.
Someone may need to correct me on this one, as well as give better advice.

.avi is one of the richer and higher quality formats. It keeps most all quality you've capture but as a result the file size is Huge.

If you're looking to compress a video for upload, I'd recommend using h.264 (which creates an .mp4 file), though you should WAIT until the VERY END to compress it. Until then work with the highest quality footage you can. :)

Hope this helps! Feel free to judge for yourself with my videos. (~4 mins = 180 mb)

Excuse me for my stupidness (heh), how do you compress?

I use Mp4 myself it keep a lot of the HD quality i put into it while keeping a low size very helpful for uploading to youtube

Thank god my connection is decent here. I usually upload around one gig in an hour. I also use .mp4

Upload time really depends on two factors; File Size and internet Speed. I have slow internet but small files so it usually take ~45 min to upload a 180 mb file.

Here's my setup:

I record gameplay using Fraps (29.97 fps, 1600 x 900 px) and also my webcam (29.97, 640 x 480 px) using Windows Movie Maker. I then edit using Adobe Premiere using the 1600x1200 px res and 29.97 fps. When I'm finished I use the Adobe Encoder using the HD720 (1280 x 720 px), 29.97, H.264 preset and it spits out an .mp4 file.

Sure some resolution was lost but its all good. :)

Back