Best PC Laptop's For Video Editing?

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys and girls. I was looking to get a macbook pro but options seem limited in the country I'm currently living in so may wait till later this year for that.

I would like to know what my best options are for a PC Laptop that will handle 10+ minute edits daily, render and export fast as possible and just be a solid work horse. Something that ticks all the right boxes!

Thanks
jM

jd_techsetupgear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Your best bet is getting a building a custom PC. Trying to get the same performance out of a laptop is incredibly more expensive based on what your needs are.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your best bet is getting a building a custom PC. Trying to get the same performance out of a laptop is incredibly more expensive based on what your needs are.
My needs are that I travel globally so I have no choice to use a laptop. I currently run everything off a Macbook Pro and do so very successfully. I was going to get a second one but due to the time it would take to get where I am currently based I thought I would give a PC a test run. This second system will be for my girlfriend to run her business from and a backup system for me if required. Budget is not an issue.

So back to the original question that nobody ever seems to be able to answer when I post something lol FML! I'm off to Reddit for some advice.

jd_techsetupgear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
My needs are that I travel globally so I have no choice to use a laptop. I currently run everything off a Macbook Pro and do so very successfully. I was going to get a second one but due to the time it would take to get where I am currently based I thought I would give a PC a test run. This second system will be for my girlfriend to run her business from and a backup system for me if required. Budget is not an issue.

So back to the original question that nobody ever seems to be able to answer when I post something lol FML! I'm off to Reddit for some advice.
Well you did not mention that you travel globally, so instinctively I did not assume so. If a budget is not your concern I would suggest MSI 15.6" 4K/UHD GP62MVR Leopard Pro at $1500 from Newegg.

The laptop I included in the link has a quad core hyper-threaded CPU that can handle multitasking and rendering easily along with a graphics processor to accelerate your laptop even further. It's advertised as a gaming laptop but it also makes a very capable laptop. I would recommend this over another MacBook Pro, due to the hardware alone.

If no one seems to answer your question perhaps you should include more information, (like traveling and no budget) so their is no ambiguity.

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wish i could afford to travel and do this at the same time. From my research though even if you find something more powerful than a Mac book, id still go with the Mac as they're far more reliable. If i had the money id get one myself, would be my first purchase if i do ever start making money from this.
Though you could go for the more powerful PC laptop and put on ubuntu, so much better than Windows but problem with that is getting decent editing programs on it

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well you did not mention that you travel globally, so instinctively I did not assume so. If a budget is not your concern I would suggest MSI 15.6" 4K/UHD GP62MVR Leopard Pro at $1500 from Newegg.
Thanks mate, I was looking at the MSI brand last night. Got a bit confused with the amount of models they have to choose from but I think it will be between the Auss ROG and an MSI with the MSI been most likely.[DOUBLEPOST=1484438171,1484437844][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wish i could afford to travel and do this at the same time. From my research though even if you find something more powerful than a Mac book, id still go with the Mac as they're far more reliable. If i had the money id get one myself, would be my first purchase if i do ever start making money from this.
Though you could go for the more powerful PC laptop and put on ubuntu, so much better than Windows but problem with that is getting decent editing programs on it
It's not just the reliability but if something does go wrong I can pretty much take my MBP in to an approved service point and have it back within 5 days. All parts replaced under the warranty which I extended to 3 years. Yes I have tested this turn around service. The mac did have a failed logic board or something along them lines after around 6 months. It was diagnosed, a ridiculous cost of parts replaced under warranty and back in my hands 5 working days later.

Of course a back up laptop will make things easier if that happens again. I am however interested to test how something from the PC selection will go for less then half the price. Without it being my main workhorse it's something I think we will soon be working with.

jd_techsetupgear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Sure no problem, there are a plethora of laptops to choose from. The one I recommended has pretty much everything you would need. Asus ROG is nice but pretty expensive, and also overkill for what you need. Glad I could help.

Reactions: just Moto

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sure no problem, there are a plethora of laptops to choose from. The one I recommended has pretty much everything you would need. Asus ROG is nice but pretty expensive, and also overkill for what you need. Glad I could help.
Sent you a message man. Cheers

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks mate, I was looking at the MSI brand last night. Got a bit confused with the amount of models they have to choose from but I think it will be between the Auss ROG and an MSI with the MSI been most likely.[DOUBLEPOST=1484438171,1484437844][/DOUBLEPOST]

It's not just the reliability but if something does go wrong I can pretty much take my MBP in to an approved service point and have it back within 5 days. All parts replaced under the warranty which I extended to 3 years. Yes I have tested this turn around service. The mac did have a failed logic board or something along them lines after around 6 months. It was diagnosed, a ridiculous cost of parts replaced under warranty and back in my hands 5 working days later.

Of course a back up laptop will make things easier if that happens again. I am however interested to test how something from the PC selection will go for less then half the price. Without it being my main workhorse it's something I think we will soon be working with.
I guess backup Mac would be best really to save converting any files as heard people transferring from mac to pc can be annoying. Though if you went for a regular laptop, would it purely work related stuff or other things as well. Kinda wishing i had spent the extra money and got a mac, built a pc i7 16gb, all good stuff and even just exporting a 8min video with barely any edits, absolutely nothing else on the PC loaded and it crashed due to memory. Its like 3months old, yet my old PC which i edited thru 150GB of video footage, never crashed once during and exported a 45min video of it all. Needed a new PC tho as that mobo was dying but the PC was at least 8yrs old

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I have an Asus (Zenbook UX303UA ) which I recently got for about 800 USD. I wanted small and light and good battery life and that's what I got. and I'd definitely recommend them. You'd probably want a higher end one but I can vouch for the Asus brand as a whole. Windows 10 works very well. I'd recommend an SSD drive for speed and stability.

There was a minor issue with the power / charger so I sent it all back and I got it all back fixed in less than a week. They pay for express courrier there and back. I have had no issues since.