Best entry level or low budget screen capture and editing setup

Morgeh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I've had a fraps license for a very long time but I've recently discovered that on Windows 10 fraps doesn't play very nicely with Minecraft.

I saw OBS recommended so I've been trying that out but I haven't quite found a settings setup that I'm happy with.

Are there any other screen capture softwares you would recommend that are either free or relatively cheap?

In terms of editing once I've captured, at the moment I use (please don't laugh too much) Windows Movie Maker because it's free and it does everything I need it to. I have noticed recently though that as I'm trying out new techniques to make my content more engaging WMM just isn't cutting it. What are everyone's recommendations?

I also use Audacity to record my voice over if that makes a difference to either of the above :p

The Bomber Brigade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I do not know of a cheap editing software because I use the software that come with my computer(PowerDirector10). In terms of screen capturing I would try to use Windows 10 Screen capture. If you time when you start audacity and the gameplay around the same time it should be fine. I've recorded a few videos like that and as long as you start them around the same time you should be good.

datguyonYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Obs is the best software in the market right now. the quality at which it records is great, it doesn't affect your PC's performance so badly and it has multitracking.
I would recommend you to stick with obs because that's as good as it gets, if you have problems with setting the program you can find lots of tutorials online or you can ask here and we can help you.
As a final note remember that recording games will stress your CPU, the better the CPU the better the quality.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Brandon

SmokeySpace

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you have a nvidea graphics card 100% go with shadowplay, it's amazing and seamless, otherwise I would say obs, if you go into output you can change the recording to go off of your capture card instead of your processor, that may help, but I personally like shadowplay better

Reactions: Rolz

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
OBS and just get an Adobe CC subscription for $10/mo.

Calixo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to record minecraft, the best are as follows (imo)

Dxtory (what dantdm uses)
OBS (what prestonplayz uses)
Elgato (for consoles)

And your right, i bought fraps and it didn't work well with windows 10, i would get terrible fps on a decent build. on obs and dxtory i easily get 60fps (using lagaroth lossless codec)

hope this helped

Rolz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you have a nvidea graphics card 100% go with shadowplay, it's amazing and seamless, otherwise I would say obs, if you go into output you can change the recording to go off of your capture card instead of your processor, that may help, but I personally like shadowplay better
I second ShadowPlay. It makes everything so easy - simply set your destination, output quality and you're set to go! I use this in conjunction with Audacity and it works like a charm. You can record your headset mic in game voice with shadow play if you want but I choose not to. Use my regular mic for that.

survivorunknown

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Without a doubt use OBS, I know at first it took me a second to get use to OBS, but thanks to a bunch of tutorials and trial and error you should be able to record gameplay fairly easy with it.