Best Editor for Montages

Barbaroes

Xbox Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
I need the whole works, basically all the beast effects.

obscurimity

YTT's Tanager
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
After Effects technically. But that's hella expensive. I'd recommend Powerdirector. I got it for under $100 and it's pretty much a poor-man's After Effects.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
After Effects technically. But that's hella expensive. I'd recommend Powerdirector. I got it for under $100 and it's pretty much a poor-man's After Effects.
Powerdirector is the poor mans Adobe Premiere. After Effects is a whole different box of frogs and is actually terrible for outright video editing. It's designed for effect creation, not video editing.

Montages require little more than a timeline and transitions from one set to the next.

Adobe Premiere (Pro or Elements), Powerdirector, Sony Vegas, etc. are what is needed.

M424Filmcast

Director, Producer, Short Filmmaker, Musician
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Vlogger
If you want a simple montage, then windows moviemaker can do that. If you want crazy effects, you will need some kind of software. After Effects creates special effects, Adobe Premiere or Pro will do decent stuff, and Power Director will do alright as well. Any basic software program is going to cost anywhere from $40-$75, and bigger programs up to $2000-$3500. It's up to you how much you want to do, but let me know, and I can tell you what will work best for you.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I would suggest Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas Pro, These are what pretty much every video editor for OCEs and montages use :)

obscurimity

YTT's Tanager
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Powerdirector is the poor mans Adobe Premiere. After Effects is a whole different box of frogs and is actually terrible for outright video editing. It's designed for effect creation, not video editing.
I meant premiere. Thanks for fixing that.

freeze

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

Montages require little more than a timeline and transitions from one set to the next.

Adobe Premiere (Pro or Elements), Powerdirector, Sony Vegas, etc. are what is needed.

well, if you wanna do some "advanced" transitions, like for example with masks, then after effects is definately the way to go.
but ya... a cluttered up timeline is horrible in AE =/

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
well, if you wanna do some "advanced" transitions, like for example with masks, then after effects is definately the way to go.
but ya... a cluttered up timeline is horrible in AE =/
Aye, but usually you'll render an effect and then import into Premiere for the video editing later anyways. ;)

John501

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've Adobe Premiere Pro for about a fortnight now. It's difficult to get to grips with to start with but once you get the hang of it then it's really powerful and gives some great results.

Unknown_User12

Account Closed
Reaction score
If you want to line everything up, use Premiere. I assume you want all the fancy effects, use After Effects and render it in Premiere.