Best cheap mic for commentating?

Shadeypwns

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes i have one xD But the mic has its own settings but the computer also has lol >:3 Yu can configure the mic settings nicely but if ya dun configure the computer settings on the pc then it wont have any effect .-.
I'm not sure what you're talking about anymore. All I can say is from my personal experience with a Blue Snowball mic, I found the volume gain to be too low, and a simple google search for Blue Snowball Gain indicates that there was a firmware update in 2008 to boost the low gain of the microphones, and since then there has been no adjustments or options available to boost the gain of the microphone further. I have never heard of a +20 gain boost available for the Blue Snowball in windows, and when I had mine for 8 months I never saw such an option in my dozens of attempts to increase the volume of the mic.

All in all the Blue Snowball is a very high quality sounding microphone, it's solidly built, and performs amazingly for it's price point. I would buy one again if I needed a new mic.

Sickflowz TV

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian
I would suggest the Blue Snowball mic, you could pick one up from Amazon for about $50-60 bucks and it's a really good mic to do commentary. You don't want to buy a cheaper mic that would end up breaking in a few months and then you would need to buy a new one.

Reactions: VlogRays

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure what you're talking about anymore. All I can say is from my personal experience with a Blue Snowball mic, I found the volume gain to be too low, and a simple google search for Blue Snowball Gain indicates that there was a firmware update in 2008 to boost the low gain of the microphones, and since then there has been no adjustments or options available to boost the gain of the microphone further. I have never heard of a +20 gain boost available for the Blue Snowball in windows, and when I had mine for 8 months I never saw such an option in my dozens of attempts to increase the volume of the mic.

All in all the Blue Snowball is a very high quality sounding microphone, it's solidly built, and performs amazingly for it's price point. I would buy one again if I needed a new mic.
I have noticed if you turn it all the way up in the volume control it picks up a lot better. It's not as strong at the Yeti but there is a reason it's 50 dollars cheaper then it. I think it does a wonderful job for the price and sounds very professional. My only complaint is there is no mute button on it.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I have noticed if you turn it all the way up in the volume control it picks up a lot better. It's not as strong at the Yeti but there is a reason it's 50 dollars cheaper then it. I think it does a wonderful job for the price and sounds very professional. My only complaint is there is no mute button on it.
Pumping the input volume in Windows can often get you distortion which is not ideal for vocal applications.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Pumping the input volume in Windows can often get you distortion which is not ideal for vocal applications.
I don't seem to have any issues with it unless I scream into the mic. I don't need it tuned up all the way either. I got it set at just a little bit higher the 50 percent and it picks me up perfectly. I do have an actual mic stand (not the little one that comes with it) so it sits right in front of me. I hate showing my video here but this what my snowball sounds like for those who are interested in the quality of that microphone:

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I don't seem to have any issues with it unless I scream into the mic. I don't need it tuned up all the way either. I got it set at just a little bit higher the 50 percent and it picks me up perfectly. I do have an actual mic stand (not the little one that comes with it) so it sits right in front of me. I hate showing my video here but this what my snowball sounds like for those who are interested in the quality of that microphone:
Being something of an audiophile, my usual recommendation for anyone recording voice is have the microphone about a hand width away from your mouth and a 45 degree angle to either side. This positions it basically at your cheek and has you talking past it rather than into it. If you’re right on top of the mic then even a pop filter won’t save you, and this way most people honestly don’t need a pop filter. By the time you get about 12-16 inches away from the mic, it will start to pick up room echo that is noticeable, so if you’re not in a treated room it will cause problems.

Shadeypwns

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I had to do the same thing. The mic is generally too quiet to work with the default stand, most people will be forced to purchase a large stand to go with it, but those are still fairly cheap to grab.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I had to do the same thing. The mic is generally too quiet to work with the default stand, most people will be forced to purchase a large stand to go with it, but those are still fairly cheap to grab.
I agree with that. Even in the pictures it shows the mic like 2-3 feet away from the person and that's just not gonna happen for crisp clean loud audio.