Being more charismatic

One of my biggest set backs with creating my content the way i want and being happy with it is my on screen presence. Having been in speech therapy for a speech impediment most of my youth and having a 1/2 inch over bite had made me a little less than sociable. Now its not a fear of being judged, ive gotten over that years ago now, its that im not used to seeing and hearing my self recorded. I know everyone has some struggles like this i just ask if theres any tips, practices or technique that anyone can give me to bring my charismatic self to the video. Anything is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Now its not a fear of being judged, ive gotten over that years ago
That is really good cause a lot of people have fear of being judged:) So good for you that you got passed that:up2:
its that im not used to seeing and hearing my self recorded
I think a lot of Youtubers feel this way (especially in the beginning) This might not be a good advice but you have to get used to it if you want to make videos staring yourself:) I personally think you just have to give it some time and my guess is that a year from now you wont think about it at all:)

That is really good cause a lot of people have fear of being judged:) So good for you that you got passed that:up2:

I think a lot of Youtubers feel this way (especially in the beginning) This might not be a good advice but you have to get used to it if you want to make videos staring yourself:) I personally think you just have to give it some time and my guess is that a year from now you wont think about it at all:)

Thanks and i get that, im starting to get more used to it but i still feel a little weird trying to talk to my camera, i try to keep in my head that its for an audience of people, but then my review videos showing just my hands have more views with better retention

Yeah I'm really bad at this too. I completely deleted some of my first uploads because of this. Its just practice but there are a few things that might help. Say your script several times until it becomes more fluent.. Then you'll be more confident too. record many takes of the same part of narrative -working a little bit at a time if need. Then you can use the best take. I often.. always!.. end up stitching together my voiceover from multiple takes and with a lot of editing. Try to talk at something that way you don't talk under your breath.. I get my (borrow a) bear and place him a few feet away so as to 'project' a bit more.
Try to be better at self evaluating.. this one is hard. When your engrossed in making your video it might seem okay. But watch it again tomorrow with fresh eyes and you might think S*** thats cr**.. So don't upload straight away maybe. If its worth doing properly do it again until its the best at least that you can do.
Cheating helps.. you can perk up your narrative a little in editing maybe depending what software you use.

. Say your script several times until it becomes more fluent.. Then you'll be more confident too. record many takes of the same part of narrative -working a little bit at a time if need. Then you can use the best take.
My last few videos ive deffinitly been working on my scripting, my first lot i spitballed it all and had a lot of "uhs" i had to cut out. My goal is to talk like im telling my friends about something with all the info and look like i enjoy doing so.

I think "charisma" is often linked to self-confidence and you can build self-confidence but it's not something you can just switch on before a video. It's a gradual process but definitely worth doing. :) Good ways of building self-confidence are to start new hobbies, learn new skills, meet new people in real life etc. Basically get things done and improve oneself.

Slightly off-topic - A great book and all time best-seller for improving communication skills with people in real life is: "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie - The title of the book is a bit misleading. It's a lot more than just making friends. It's a great book about how to interact with people and so will help building confidence. Read some of the reviews on the Amazon page to see if it could help you. Good luck. :)

I wasn't a big fan of hearing myself recorded lol but you have to accept it is what it is. I also naturally have a tendency not to "put myself out there" and to be discreet etc... and my instinct is to sound as simple and lowkey as possible.... but I figured if I'm going to record my voice, I'm going to sound as enthusiastic and confident as I should anyway. Screw my own image of myself, just do the 'right thing'.

I think "charisma" is often linked to self-confidence and you can build self-confidence but it's not something you can just switch on before a video. It's a gradual process but definitely worth doing. :) Good ways of building self-confidence are to start new hobbies, learn new skills, meet new people in real life etc. Basically get things done and improve oneself.

Slightly off-topic - A great book and all time best-seller for improving communication skills with people in real life is: by Dale Carnegie - The title of the book is a bit misleading. It's a lot more than just making friends. It's a great book about how to interact with people and so will help building confidence. Read some of the reviews on the Amazon page to see if it could help you. Good luck. :)

Sounds like solid advice, thank you. I had some self confidence issues talking to people when i was younger, then after i was 21 i started going to concerts, bars and such and ended up doing well in crowds and meeting new people. Yet with that there i had pretty instant connections, through video im un aware if its going in any direction, but nonetheless i am going to continue and build this up

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

I'm pretty introverted (or at least I used to be). The best way to get myself to be confident is just pretend I am talking to my friends. Worst case, I edit out something silly I said later!

Please don't say that you are not charismatic enough. And no, I am not suggesting that you should also try speaking with pebbles in mouth! hahaha! Just use your strong will and do whatever your best is. That is what we all do! :)

Plutarch also states that he had “an inarticulate and stammering pronunciation” that he got rid of by speaking with pebbles in his mouth and by repeating verses when running or out of breath. He also practiced speaking in front of a large mirror.[9]

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosthenes

Back