Been YouTubing for roughly a year, looking for feedback now

Cragcloud

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking for feedback on my channel in general.

Cragcloud is about inspiring people to go (rock, alpine or ice) climbing new destinations by showing climbing routes and destinations, and give advice on how to choose a specific piece of gear. I have been YouTubing for about a year, and have gained consistent growth throughout the last year from 0 to 1.400 subscribers and 0 to about 200.000 minutes of watch time. I am pretty satisfied with the growth being in a niche. The main focus until now have been on ice climbing and alpine climbing as this has been the theme for the autumn and winter season. During spring and summer I will focus more on rock climbing.

I see a trend, where the drop off in the beginning of almost all of my videos is massive and drop at least 25% (up to 40% at some videos) of the viewers within the first 1-5 seconds. What am I doing wrong? I have experimented with different video sequences such as showing logo, awesome drone footage, speaking etc. - all with the same result. Is this something I should just accept?

Except than that, if you have any feedback on a more general note, please let me know :)

You will find Cragcloud here: http://youtube.com/c/cragcloud

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Everything is great about your videos. Camera angles, video quality, audio quality. It might go further than that, maybe if you talk to some other climbing experts they could tell you?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the person's face taking up 90% of the frame in front of the camera stuff. Maybe if you wear a lapel mic or use a shotgun mic and stand back further, kinda like how you show off the product in your third last video.

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
your videos are good at all, you should use twitter, insta, blogspot to promote it

Pinta77

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking for feedback on my channel in general.

Cragcloud is about inspiring people to go (rock, alpine or ice) climbing new destinations by showing climbing routes and destinations, and give advice on how to choose a specific piece of gear. I have been YouTubing for about a year, and have gained consistent growth throughout the last year from 0 to 1.400 subscribers and 0 to about 200.000 minutes of watch time. I am pretty satisfied with the growth being in a niche. The main focus until now have been on ice climbing and alpine climbing as this has been the theme for the autumn and winter season. During spring and summer I will focus more on rock climbing.

I see a trend, where the drop off in the beginning of almost all of my videos is massive and drop at least 25% (up to 40% at some videos) of the viewers within the first 1-5 seconds. What am I doing wrong? I have experimented with different video sequences such as showing logo, awesome drone footage, speaking etc. - all with the same result. Is this something I should just accept?

Except than that, if you have any feedback on a more general note, please let me know :)

You will find Cragcloud here: http://youtube.com/c/cragcloud
Looks like you're doing great dude. Those are good views for being at it for a year. Congratulations.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your videos look good :up2: There are different ways to promote them (social media is obvious and most used I think) You could also try to hook up with people in the same niche for collabs. I have done a lot of collaborations over the years and it has worked very well for me:)

Cragcloud

Reaction score
Everything is great about your videos. Camera angles, video quality, audio quality. It might go further than that, maybe if you talk to some other climbing experts they could tell you?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the person's face taking up 90% of the frame in front of the camera stuff. Maybe if you wear a lapel mic or use a shotgun mic and stand back further, kinda like how you show off the product in your third last video.
Actually that is a good point! I have not noticed that before, but you are right. I see some very well-performing channels mixing up different camera angles and that gives a pretty nice variety of the speak sections. That is something I think I will experiment with.

Cragcloud

Reaction score
Looks like you're doing great dude. Those are good views for being at it for a year. Congratulations.
Thank you :)

I have actually added a new opening sequence to my latest three videos, and I see that the drop off isn't as massive on those three videos.

Pinta77

Reaction score
Thank you :)

I have actually added a new opening sequence to my latest three videos, and I see that the drop off isn't as massive on those three videos.
Yeah if it's working then stick with it. Every situation is so unique. You're lucky that you have enough views to be able to view analytics like that. Sounds like you know what you're doing

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It's so refreshing to see another channel here that's not just someone playing video games or making stupid ASMR noise!! Your channel is a bit similar in nature to mine - slow paced outdoor sport/adventure, so I know it's hard to keep people watching..

Everything about your videos is very well done, so i think your biggest issue is there just may not be a giant audiance for climbers, so your numbers may never be super-huge.. i have found after looking at 3 years of stats on my channel/videos, that Youtubers tend to be looking more for information than entertainment - so maybe try more "information/review" type videos of a climbing location.. "tips for climbers", equipment reviews, etc ..

We've also found that for a slow moving video (Jeeps go slow in our videos just like climbers go slow in yours) you have to "hook" them at the start with a preview of something exciting so they know what they have to look forward to..

Otherwise just keep doing what you do best!