Been doing youtube for months, only 13 subs, bad?

Spuntillian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello there! I've been doing youtube videos since August 2017, and is wondering if my growth is slow or not. I've uploaded about 27 videos, with an average length of 10-15 minutes, getting about 20 views per video or more, but the one thing that concerns me, which really kills my motivation, is that i only have 13 subs. But dont get me wrong, my motivation isn't dead and never will be, and i am glad for every person who cares to subscribe to me and watch my videos, its just that i find it weird that i only have 13 subs when i've been doing youtube since August 2017. And not too brag, but i also feel like my videos are good quality videos which i take some time to make as well.

So i would like a review for my channel by anyone, and i've been thinking maybe why i have such low subscriber count, is it because i havent uploaded that many videos? In that case, should i upload more and more frequently than i've done before? Anyhow, any tip for how i can grow my channel the fastest and most efficient way possible is really appreciated.

Thanks beforehand, i really appreciate everyone who reads this and take their time to review my channel, i really do. :happy:

kevinboston7

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello there! I've been doing youtube videos since August 2017, and is wondering if my growth is slow or not. I've uploaded about 27 videos, with an average length of 10-15 minutes, getting about 20 views per video or more, but the one thing that concerns me, which really kills my motivation, is that i only have 13 subs. But dont get me wrong, my motivation isn't dead and never will be, and i am glad for every person who cares to subscribe to me and watch my videos, its just that i find it weird that i only have 13 subs when i've been doing youtube since August 2017. And not too brag, but i also feel like my videos are good quality videos which i take some time to make as well.

So i would like a review for my channel by anyone, and i've been thinking maybe why i have such low subscriber count, is it because i havent uploaded that many videos? In that case, should i upload more and more frequently than i've done before? Anyhow, any tip for how i can grow my channel the fastest and most efficient way possible is really appreciated.

Thanks beforehand, i really appreciate everyone who reads this and take their time to review my channel, i really do. :happy:
Ok first of all considering you are relatively new your thumbnails are amazing I would recommend making your bio more specific I was trying to read it and it was just confusing saying whatever you feel like is probably putting people off from subscribe to you think of it like a tv show TV shows have specific schedules right I recommend you do the same thing pick a day or days that would be good for you. Actually I recommend you look on your antibiotics to see you on your Peak day is and upload on that day at your peak time and if you're unable to upload at that time make a video in advance and scheduled it to go up at that day and time you can find that information under real-time analytics and subscriber reports I find real time analytics is best for that kind of info for example my best day is Friday at 8 p.m. but I uploaded almost daily because well the more the merrier good luck hopefully this advice is helpful

Spuntillian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok first of all considering you are relatively new your thumbnails are amazing I would recommend making your bio more specific I was trying to read it and it was just confusing saying whatever you feel like is probably putting people off from subscribe to you think of it like a tv show TV shows have specific schedules right I recommend you do the same thing pick a day or days that would be good for you. Actually I recommend you look on your antibiotics to see you on your Peak day is and upload on that day at your peak time and if you're unable to upload at that time make a video in advance and scheduled it to go up at that day and time you can find that information under real-time analytics and subscriber reports I find real time analytics is best for that kind of info for example my best day is Friday at 8 p.m. but I uploaded almost daily because well the more the merrier good luck hopefully this advice is helpful
Thank you so much for replying! And thanks for the the tips and all :D. Yeah i've been thinking lately that i should maybe make a schedule for when i'm going to upload videos, but i had a sort of schedule before which didnt work out cus' i had other things to do that were important to me. But i will try to make a substainable schedule that will last for as long as possible :). And oh yeah my bio haven't been edited in a while so i should also look into that aswell :p. And i will also look at my analytics as well, i actually look at my analytics quite often honestly and its really helpfull! Anyways as i said, thank you so much for replying, and thanks for your: "your thumbnails are amazing" comment aswell! :p. I really appreciate it! :)

Reactions: kevinboston7

kevinboston7

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you so much for replying! And thanks for the the tips and all :D. Yeah i've been thinking lately that i should maybe make a schedule for when i'm going to upload videos, but i had a sort of schedule before which didnt work out cus' i had other things to do that were important to me. But i will try to make a substainable schedule that will last for as long as possible :). And oh yeah my bio haven't been edited in a while so i should also look into that aswell :p. And i will also look at my analytics as well, i actually look at my analytics quite often honestly and its really helpfull! Anyways as i said, thank you so much for replying, and thanks for your: "your thumbnails are amazing" comment aswell! :p. I really appreciate it! :)
Thank you

Reactions: Spuntillian

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Referring to the other gentlemans comment, I didn't think peak times really mattered for me as my audience is sort of divided between North America and Europe. Quite interesting. Anywho, I saw your channel and I think you got something nice however the videos are quite long and similar to other gaming channels. It is quite an unsaturated market atm. Maybe you should rethink how you approach gaming to present a new unique concept. Maybe quick montages of funny moments lasting a few minutes to capture peoples attention. Your thumbnails are also good.

Spuntillian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Referring to the other gentlemans comment, I didn't think peak times really mattered for me as my audience is sort of divided between North America and Europe. Quite interesting. Anywho, I saw your channel and I think you got something nice however the videos are quite long and similar to other gaming channels. It is quite an unsaturated market atm. Maybe you should rethink how you approach gaming to present a new unique concept. Maybe quick montages of funny moments lasting a few minutes to capture peoples attention. Your thumbnails are also good.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, i agree with the length of my videos as well, that they are too long, however, in my newer videos, you can see that i have tried to shorten them the best way possible (between 3-9 minutes-ish). But what type of length do you suggest tho? Should i try to aim for about 6-7 minutes long videos? Cus' then it won't be too long and neither too short, like a good balance.

However about the "montages of funny moments" thing you suggested, i can't seem to agree with you so much about that :/, i mean, in my opinion, its not that i think its "not my style" or "nah thats too mainstream", i just think it would be less effective because there are so many people already doing that. If you have a good argument about that then just go ahead! i'll listen to your explanation and try to look at it in your perception :)

Let me know what you think about the video length thing, and also please explain to me how "montages of funny moments" would be effective :). Oh and also thanks for that Thumbnails comment you made, i work on my thumbnails a lot :D.

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Yeah gaming is a tough nutt to crack.

What does your retention stats say about your video lengths? What percentage of viewers watch almost the full runtime? If it's more than 25-30% that might actually indicate that longer videos could work for you, by increasing watch time and search potential. On the other hand if there's a consistent point (besides any intros) where a lot of people fall off, maybe that will indicate a length that's more palatable for people.

Since your content is more commentary centric, I would focus on tackling unique topics with search or trend potential. And consistent branding/formats can always help too of course.

As for your real question about subs, don't sweat it. In my very limited experience the bulk of your subs early on will come from 1 or 2 videos that 'blow up' (on a micro scale) which I'm sure will happen for you if you continue what you're doing and focus on retention and seo.

Jackie Pearce

YouTuber, writer, nerd, sushi lover
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'd definitely say to add in some kind of theme. I like gaming channels for their playthroughs or certain types of games they play.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I didn't check out your channel and gaming is rather uninteresting to me anyway so I probably wouldn't have much good feedback there. but I would say focus on retention first and foremost. growth will be slow at first but if people are liking your videos and pulling good retention. your growth will start to compound over time. 15 mins is pretty long starting out. when I started trying to build my channel I was in the 10-15 min range on a couple video's and it wasn't good pulled it back to under 6 mins and started doing a lot better now as I am seeing good growth and I'm learning how to make better video's I'm playing with running a little longer format again. YouTube gives you tons of analytics tools study all your results in great detail and try to learn from them.

Spuntillian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah gaming is a tough nutt to crack.

What does your retention stats say about your video lengths? What percentage of viewers watch almost the full runtime? If it's more than 25-30% that might actually indicate that longer videos could work for you, by increasing watch time and search potential. On the other hand if there's a consistent point (besides any intros) where a lot of people fall off, maybe that will indicate a length that's more palatable for people.

Since your content is more commentary centric, I would focus on tackling unique topics with search or trend potential. And consistent branding/formats can always help too of course.

As for your real question about subs, don't sweat it. In my very limited experience the bulk of your subs early on will come from 1 or 2 videos that 'blow up' (on a micro scale) which I'm sure will happen for you if you continue what you're doing and focus on retention and seo.
Aight! Thanks for the reply man, i think i came up with my conclusion. Looking at my analytics, it indicates that my shorter (1-10 minutes) videos gets more watch time than my longer videos (15-20 minutes). So i think i'll start doing what the analytics shows. Again, thank you so much for feedback, without feedbacks i would'nt continue making videos honestly ;D.[DOUBLEPOST=1521474436,1521474369][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd definitely say to add in some kind of theme. I like gaming channels for their playthroughs or certain types of games they play.
Thanks for replying! Yes, that is indeed what i'm trying to do, however simply "getting" a theme is better explained than done, but i'll try my best! ;D.[DOUBLEPOST=1521474514][/DOUBLEPOST]
I didn't check out your channel and gaming is rather uninteresting to me anyway so I probably wouldn't have much good feedback there. but I would say focus on retention first and foremost. growth will be slow at first but if people are liking your videos and pulling good retention. your growth will start to compound over time. 15 mins is pretty long starting out. when I started trying to build my channel I was in the 10-15 min range on a couple video's and it wasn't good pulled it back to under 6 mins and started doing a lot better now as I am seeing good growth and I'm learning how to make better video's I'm playing with running a little longer format again. YouTube gives you tons of analytics tools study all your results in great detail and try to learn from them.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, i agree with you alot with shorter videos being more efficient, so thats what i'm trying to do from now ;D