Balancing YouTube with life

Gits and Shiggles

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey, I just got back into making videos and stuff because It's fun for me, but it's a pretty time-consuming activity because I normally do a lot of editing in my videos. Basically, I was wondering how some people manage Youtube and work, or Youtube and school. By school I mean college, high school doesn't count. High school is easy, trust me.

BLACKER

Reaction score
Hi, this is my sincere opinion, I think if we want balance youtube and work, we should have a notebook or bullet journal. When we jot down and chunk down our task in smallest mini goal, we can easily make it happens. When we write down our task, we can easily see the overview for our task and it's easier for us to have the time management~

What's your opinion?:winky:

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey, I just got back into making videos and stuff because It's fun for me, but it's a pretty time-consuming activity because I normally do a lot of editing in my videos. Basically, I was wondering how some people manage Youtube and work, or Youtube and school. By school I mean college, high school doesn't count. High school is easy, trust me.
Well, hopefully college isn't much harder than high school, cause then I would have to stop sleeping XD. Things might have been different at your school, but here they are loading us with so much work, that most of the kids are working around 1-2 weeks behind schedule, and I'm not excluded from that. For balance, I just do youtube on the weekends when I have my homework done, and that's it. Best of luck to you!

Gits and Shiggles

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi, this is my sincere opinion, I think if we want balance youtube and work, we should have a notebook or bullet journal. When we jot down and chunk down our task in smallest mini goal, we can easily make it happens. When we write down our task, we can easily see the overview for our task and it's easier for us to have the time management~

What's your opinion?:winky:
Oh yeah man, my day is planned out by the hour, but that has more to do with work and school than youtube lol. I guess youtube time falls into my "free time" category.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah...It's really hard to plan out time for everything. x_x When I was going to a university, I was spread out so thin running between the engineering and music departments + two jobs...yuck...bad memories, lol. I made a schedule in Excel where I blocked out what I needed to be doing every 10 minutes of each day of the week. It included stupid stuff like "take out the trash" and "walk between x building and y building to go to z class" lol. It's a bit ominous to wake up each day knowing exactly what to do every 10 minutes, but when I stuck to the schedule I made, I was able to get everything done. It takes massive discipline to actually stick to it....If anything, it taught me there's a lot of "wasted time" between classes that could be used better if I planned ahead.

When you start working, it's a matter of ordering your priorities and managing time. It's easy to say that, but it's really hard to sort everything out... I think everyone struggles with feeling too busy and tired to work on their YouTube channel, so you're not alone! :)

BlandMark

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The main thing is to not get stressed out over it all. YouTube is an amazing platform. I've recently got back into making (fairly regular) videos but I would never set unrealistic aims and worry myself over it. It's a hobby. Maybe for YouTubers with thousands of subscribers it is the sole means of making money, but for me my day job is slightly more important than what I do on YT (usually making low brow fart jokes and surreal sketches which just aren't going to pay the bills :D). So I keep my YouTube as something I really enjoy, and don't try to treat it like a stressful chore or occupation.

BLACKER

Reaction score
Oh yeah man, my day is planned out by the hour, but that has more to do with work and school than youtube lol. I guess youtube time falls into my "free time" category.
Free time category... It's good too. As long as you feel okay at that moment to make a video, you can product video anytime. Fighting!~

Reactions: Gits and Shiggles

ASMRher

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Starting youtube while you are a student is probably one of the best time to do so. I wasted so much time when I was in university, and I regret it. Now I've quit my job in order to do youtube, but I can only do that for a couple months before I have to either have to get a job or make my own business successful.

Reactions: Barthescraftsman

BlandMark

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree to an extent with what ASMRher said about university. I went to a Uni that focussed on media, filming and such. I had the potential to do so much more than I did. Needless to say I was too busy having fun. I wouldn't say I regret it as such, because it is a great time of life to have fun, get drunk and meet new people. Again a happy medium is great. Keep working on YouTube when you can but don't get stressed out over it or give yourself unrealistic aims.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have recently been putting in way more time into videos and it can be overwelming. Some recent videos have taken up to 10 hours to create/edit/publish etc (And im getting 3-4 videos out per week)
But whilst working full time (Including 2 hours commuting daily), pleasing a wife, spending time with 2 kids, Gym twice per week, Pub with friends weekly - I still find the time..
Mainly late evenings when everyone goes to bed. Oh I dont really watch TV. I am either working / with family or YouTube (And sometimes I sleep)

• Wow
Reactions: GameVestment