Bad Things YouTube has Done

UberToque

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In light of the recent YouTube messup regarding Restrictive mode, I was planning on doing a video talking about random things that YouTube has messed up, or strange features they've added, or the like over the years.

I'm in research mode currently but I was wondering if there were any changes or features that really bugged you guys and gals.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Forcing people to sign up to Google+ before they could comment on a video was one of the worst moves IMHO.

Google red was good on paper but they never really seemed to follow through with it or promote it. They still haven't rolled it out in other countries.

The donate feature was another weird one that they introduced and then cancelled.

UberToque

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Forcing people to sign up to Google+ before they could comment on a video was one of the worst moves IMHO.

Google red was good on paper but they never really seemed to follow through with it or promote it. They still haven't rolled it out in other countries.

The donate feature was another weird one that they introduced and then cancelled.
Oh Google+, what a mess

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I just found a new one, and I don't know how long this one's been in place.

Remember that copying a video link from the Video Manger used to give you the Watch Page link for that video? I found out just this week that now when you do that you get an edit link; so to get a direct video link you either must actually go into the edit section and copy the "youtu.be" shortened version, or go to the Videos page of your channel and copy the watch page link from there. I really think that sucks because I'm used to putting links into Tweets as the video goes live, from the Video Manager itself.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Remember that copying a video link from the Video Manger used to give you the Watch Page link for that video? I found out just this week that now when you do that you get an edit link; so to get a direct video link you either must actually go into the edit section and copy the "youtu.be" shortened version, or go to the Videos page of your channel and copy the watch page link from there. I really think that sucks because I'm used to putting links into Tweets as the video goes live, from the Video Manager itself.
Yeah I noticed that a couple of weeks ago and it messed up my workflow too.

I have an excel sheet in which I used to copy paste the "watch link" from video manager. From that "watch link", my excel sheet then automatically generated direct links to all the other relevant parts of the video's configuration (cards, endscreen, description and comments) and put them in separate columns as clickable links in separate tabs of my excel sheet alongside the video title. The file is useful if/when I periodically need to change a lot of cards or descriptions or pinned comments. I can just click directly on those autogenerated links in the excel file and it takes me directly to the relevant config screen for whatever video.

Anyway that stopped working a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't work out why and then I noticed it was because the "video manager link" was no longer the "watch link" but is now the "edit link". Not a big deal, I have now changed my process slightly and the file has started working again but yeah, no idea why they felt the need to change that. There was already the link to the edit page via the "edit" button. It just seemed like a change for the sake of change and I didn't find any announcement about it. :unsure:

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@Crown Now that is a workflow for a spreadsheet I'm not familiar with, Crown. You must be very good at Excel. I didn't find any announcement for it either, so I am in agreement; change for change's sake which usually isn't a good reason for change to occur.[DOUBLEPOST=1490427628,1490356483][/DOUBLEPOST]I just thought of another bad thing YouTube and Google in general has set up recently. If you use a Google Account from multiple devices, even in the same house, you get constantly challenged to prove who you are by taking a phone call. I don't have, and don't want to have, an active mobile phone right now; so 2 step authentication is not for me. This problem is two-pronged; and the other half of it is YouTube wanting a channel account to be verified by phone for full feature access.

I only have one phone number; a landline. I own multiple channels going back to the time when every channel had to have its own account. I keep trying for verification on the ones I do want to verify, but normally I get the dreaded "This phone number has been used for verification too many times; please use another phone number". So I wait 60 days and try again. It will most likely take me decades to verify them all should I choose to do so...sigh.

What I don't understand here is why Google has decided to consider multiple uses of a single phone number for account verification "abuse of the system"?