I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Policy Update
Important AdSense policy update coming soon

Dear AdSense Publisher,

We're writing to let you know about a change to Google's publisher policies for all of our publisher products that will affect your AdSense account.In September 2019, we’re launching changes to some of our content policies across our publisher products (AdSense, AdMob and Ad Manager). While there’s no action for you to take today since this won’t affect any publishers right now, make sure that you read through this email to familiarise yourself with what’s coming next month.

Why we’re making these changes:
One of the top requests we hear from publishers is that they want us to simplify and streamline our policies. We know that many of you use several of our publisher products and we want to bring you a clear and easy way to understand how to interact with our policies and how they affect you, no matter which products you use.

Here’s what you can expect:

Google Publisher Policies, which outline the types of content that we won’t monetise through any of our publisher products. These include: Illegal Content, Child Sexual Abuse Material & Paedophilia, Sexually Explicit Content, Adult Themes in Family Content, Intellectual Property Abuse, Endangered or Threatened Species, Dangerous or Derogatory Content, Enabling Dishonest Behaviour, Misrepresentative Content, Malicious or Unwanted Software and Mail Order Brides.

Google Publisher Restrictions, which outline the types of content which will receive restricted sources of advertising. These include: Sexual Content, Shocking Content, Explosives, Guns, Gun Parts & Related Products, Other Weapons, Tobacco, Recreational Drugs, Alcohol Sales and Misuse, Online Gambling, Prescription Drugs, and Unapproved Pharmaceuticals and Supplements.

Google Ads (formerly AdWords) will continue not to serve on any of this restricted content; it will only receive ads from other advertising products or via the use of direct deals between publishers and advertisers.•Alignment across our publisher products, bringing simplicity, consistency and ease of understanding, regardless of the product(s) that you choose to use.

What it means for you as an AdSense publisher:
Monetising content that falls under the Google Publisher Restrictions will no longer be a policy violation; instead, we will restrict advertising on that content as appropriate, based on the preferences of each advertising product and/or advertisers’ individual preferences. In some cases, this will mean that no advertising sources are bidding on your inventory and no ads will appear on this restricted content. So while you can choose to monetise content covered by the Google Publisher Restrictions, doing so will mean that you will likely receive less advertising on this restricted content than you would receive on other, non-restricted content.

Content that falls under the Google Publisher Policies is not allowed to be monetised and you should not place ads against that content. As with our current policies today, attempting to monetise policy-violating content may result in your account(s) being suspended or terminated.Please note that these policies and restrictions will apply in addition to any other policies governing your use of Google publisher products.

What you need to do:
Nothing at this time. The Help Centre and Policy Centre will be updated in September 2019 when this takes effect with the full breakdown of policies and restrictions. At that time, please review the updated policies and restrictions and ensure that your content is in compliance.Please note that going forward, Google will be announcing updates to our policies and restrictions for AdSense on this change log. Publishers are required to keep abreast of changes to policies and be in compliance with them at all times.

Sincerely,The Google AdSense Team

What this means for YouTube Publishers:

The following channel types are in immediate danger of AdSense disablement after September 1st:

1. Sports Highlight Channels

2. Channels dedicated to concert footage recorded from the audience's point of view

3. Channels that are largely composed of news clips derived from commercial television

4. All channels which enable Satellite Televsion Channel Piracy

5. All channels presenting Serialized commercial Television drama and sitcoms

6. All channels presenting educational material designed to teach people how to pass tests

7. DJ remix channels and other music channels depending on unlicensed copyright music

8. Channels dedicated to cartoons and other children's content derived from commercial television.

This list is not exhaustive.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
What concerns me the most is the point "All channels presenting educational material designed to teach people how to pass tests". Does it mean channels with "video lessons" so to speak will be demonetized, or just videos that show how to cheat at exams?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
What concerns me the most is the point "All channels presenting educational material designed to teach people how to pass tests". Does it mean channels with "video lessons" so to speak will be demonetized, or just videos that show how to cheat at exams?
Thanks for asking. Here is a quote of the policy itself; from AdSense's current Help section.

"Content that enables dishonest behaviour

What's the policy?

We value honesty and fairness, so Google ads may not be placed on pages with content that helps users to mislead others. Examples:

• Content that promotes the creation of fake or false documents such as passports, diplomas or accreditation;
  • Content that promotes the creation of fake or false identities;
  • Sale or distribution of dissertations/theses, essay-writing or exam-taking services;
  • Information or products for passing drug tests;
  • Content that promotes fraudulent activity
Please note that these are examples and not intended to be complete or comprehensive."

I interpret the section in bold print to mean channels that either point to sites with "crib sheets" or pre-written or custom-written essays for sale, or that actually post videos giving the answers to exam questions.

Also, the "endangered channel type" list is my own interpretation of the outcome of this change, which was sent to all AdSense publishers about four days ago. So please don't take the channel type list as "YouTube Gospel" until after these changes go into effect; but also as I am a Badge-bearing Google Product Expert, don't be surprised when I turn out to be correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Conso1727

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
No real big deal really. Most of that stuff was already not allowed. Seems like they are just clarifying, more than changing, policy.
They are in fact changing some policies. Did you not see the part that said that monetizing content that falls under Publisher's Restrictions will no longer be a violation, and does this not imply that before, monetizing such content was a violation?

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
YT is trying to appease the big entertainment and news corporations. They have been for ages. Is anybody really surprised by this? Not me. Thankfully I am so insignificant I could not make money on YT even if I wanted.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
YT is trying to appease the big entertainment and news corporations. They have been for ages. Is anybody really surprised by this? Not me. Thankfully I am so insignificant I could not make money on YT even if I wanted.
Not only that; in order to keep paying YPP members, they also have to keep the advertisers happy. No ad money, no way to pay partnered channels.