Backing Up Videos

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Oh wow, that's a lot of data. DropBox is a good service - I tested them for a few weeks and I was very satisfied but I didn't need all of their bells and whistles and so I went with Google. Do you encrypt your data before uploading? I use a service called BoxCryptor which encrypts a DropBox or GoogleDrive folder automatically on-the-fly so that all data that gets uploaded is encrypted. I got it originally for my laptop so that if it was ever stolen or lost, the local copy of the data would be unreadable / unusable but I also use it on my desktop PC too. It's just a bit of extra piece of mind I suppose. ^^
I was thinking about making a super complicated password lol. I might have to encrypt it. I was literally thinking about the service getting hacked earlier today, but it was more me worrying someone would delete it all.

Reactions: Crown

Cookey

Reaction score
I keep my finished videos but i don't keep all my recordings and such.
and yea dropbox is great. i also have an external drive just in case :p

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I keep my finished videos but i don't keep all my recordings and such.
and yea dropbox is great. i also have an external drive just in case :p
I have a few drives that are full lol.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think I've backed up around 3.5 tb. It's 4 years of youtubing as a gamer. I probably won't be able to keep backing it up, which makes me sad.
Well that's less than 1 tb a year, so surely you can be able to purchase a £40 hdd per year? Or, 80 if you want redundancy.

What's your current method? And, why actually, doesn't this basically become hoarding at a certain point :/

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well that's less than 1 tb a year, so surely you can be able to purchase a £40 hdd per year? Or, 80 if you want redundancy.

What's your current method? And, why actually, doesn't this basically become hoarding at a certain point :/
It totally is hoarding, I definitely admit to that. And I do the cloud backup because it's pretty safe and "immortal" as long as you keep paying. Nothing is permanent, but backing it up to another physical drive invites the possibility of ultimately losing both drives and the data itself (my last apartment building almost went up in flames because someone couldn't responsibly use an oven). I think there's some scientist's law (whom I can't remember of course) stating that data doesn't truly exist until it's stored in 3 places. But anyway, using dropbox, I can delete all the originals and free up tons of space repeatedly while only keeping this weird sort of linked file for each while it sits in the cloud. That way, if I want to do a montage or Youtube shuts my channel down, I still have the videos. I plan to someday open my own website if I ever get big enough. Maybe.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It totally is hoarding, I definitely admit to that. And I do the cloud backup because it's pretty safe and "immortal" as long as you keep paying. Nothing is permanent, but backing it up to another physical drive invites the possibility of ultimately losing both drives and the data itself (my last apartment building almost went up in flames because someone couldn't responsibly use an oven). I think there's some scientist's law (whom I can't remember of course) stating that data doesn't truly exist until it's stored in 3 places. But anyway, using dropbox, I can delete all the originals and free up tons of space repeatedly while only keeping this weird sort of linked file for each while it sits in the cloud. That way, if I want to do a montage or Youtube shuts my channel down, I still have the videos. I plan to someday open my own website if I ever get big enough. Maybe.
Maybe you should look into creating some sort of raid system. You could always, if you get the income for it, build a server at a friend or family's house. Then you'd have dropbox, local drives and remote drives. Then, you would truly exist.

Reactions: daniel burgio

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I had my hard disk crashing back in in 2005 or 2006, when friends and I were filming us skateboarding. It was a lot of more work to get these files from the camcorder to the computer than it is today...
Nowadays I have every single clip I record on my computer and an external hard disk, the edited videos also on playstation and a second, older computer.

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Maybe you should look into creating some sort of raid system. You could always, if you get the income for it, build a server at a friend or family's house. Then you'd have dropbox, local drives and remote drives. Then, you would truly exist.
You can always catch me in the drift.

Reactions: coliwob

Necrovarius

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For backup and storage, I have 4TB in my main rig for "On Hand Storage". 1Tb in my "Render Server" for doing just that. Then I have a 1tb "Graveyard for completed series, and once that runs out I have 3TB external to fill up.