Backing Up Videos

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just curious (and this might be in the wrong spot, so sorry if it is), does anyone else obsessively back up their entire catalogue of videos and files? I have been with all the files and whatnot that I haven't lost to my mutant power to crash hard drives. Almost anyway. I use dropbox, which is great and saved me BIG TIME when I lost a lot of data. I would have lost about 20 or so videos if not for it. I have a business account and have been throwing everything there (and found out that there's an upload limit with Comcast...).

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Not obsessively yet. But I am uploading videos as I make them right now. I have a plan for the coming year, and that involves buying a second hard drive and finding an online storage facility to store all my videos. It's bad enough losing one because you mess up the production, but it would be pretty gutting losing one because of technical failure.

You're definitely doing the right thing.

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not obsessively yet. But I am uploading videos as I make them right now. I have a plan for the coming year, and that involves buying a second hard drive and finding an online storage facility to store all my videos. It's bad enough losing one because you mess up the production, but it would be pretty gutting losing one because of technical failure.

You're definitely doing the right thing.
I think losing everything (that was backed up, fortunately) triggered the need to do it, but I also do it in case Youtube ever deletes my channel. I hate losing stuff and it is gutting to lose everything on a hard drive permanently. I feel like hard drives can be really fragile.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I usually edit and upload (schedule) the videos short time after recording, so I don't really worry about losing the data. I also delete the raw files after I'm done with them.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I usually edit and upload (schedule) the videos short time after recording, so I don't really worry about losing the data. I also delete the raw files after I'm done with them.
I was getting at doing it for archive purposes because YouTube could shut your channel down and you would lose all your videos with no warning. I actually backup everything including the raw files, but some of that is because I might do reviews later on.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Eh. I think about doing it, but I'm far too lazy to actually end up doing anything

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think losing everything (that was backed up, fortunately) triggered the need to do it, but I also do it in case Youtube ever deletes my channel. I hate losing stuff and it is gutting to lose everything on a hard drive permanently. I feel like hard drives can be really fragile.
I just looked into getting a second seagate 1tb hdd, though I'd like a third and forth so that I can keep things in pairs.

For ~40 quid a drive if you are doing something that has important data storage and takes a lot of time, theres really no excuse for not investing.

That way A: will house all my software. b: will be switched from data to system backups, then the new drives will be data from d: up

Then an online backup too, it'll take an apocalypse to lose my data.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I back up to Google "backup and sync" which is essentially the same as DropBox but a bit cheaper. (I pay 2 Euros a month for 100Gb)

I also back up all my data to an external hard drive.

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Eh. I think about doing it, but I'm far too lazy to actually end up doing anything
Yeah it's taken me a long time lol.

I back up to Google "backup and sync" which is essentially the same as DropBox but a bit cheaper. (I pay 2 Euros a month for 100Gb)

I also back up all my data to an external hard drive.
I think I've backed up around 3.5 tb. It's 4 years of youtubing as a gamer. I probably won't be able to keep backing it up, which makes me sad.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I think I've backed up around 3.5 tb. It's 4 years of youtubing as a gamer. I probably won't be able to keep backing it up, which makes me sad.
Oh wow, that's a lot of data. DropBox is a good service - I tested them for a few weeks and I was very satisfied but I didn't need all of their bells and whistles and so I went with Google. Do you encrypt your data before uploading? I use a service called BoxCryptor which encrypts a DropBox or GoogleDrive folder automatically on-the-fly so that all data that gets uploaded is encrypted. I got it originally for my laptop so that if it was ever stolen or lost, the local copy of the data would be unreadable / unusable but I also use it on my desktop PC too. It's just a bit of extra piece of mind I suppose. ^^